Old Double Barrel

lummox

Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Location
Nova Scotia
Yesterday I had someone ask me to have a look at a shotgun for them and see if I was interested in it. I don't really know much about it so I am hoping someone here might be knowledgeable and know an approximate value. It is E. James Loveday St Birm. It is a double barrel, side lever and appears to be damascus but I am unsure of the gauge. There are some problems with it. It's missing the right side hammer and the lug under the barrels that holds the fore end on has broken off and it looks as if someone had tried to solder it at some point and it didn't hold. There is some pitting in the barrels. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
 
If you google the maker you will find info. As far as value, that can't be answered with the little info you gave plus we should really have pics. Remove the barrels and look at the proof marks on the bottom side. That will provide some information and also give the gauge. The gun has apparent visible issues so I suspect there is more than meets the eye. Is the action tight and on face, are there any dents, do the barrels ring true, do the bores have any pitting, what is the bore measurements now, what is barrel wall thickness at various intervals,do the locks work, have the chambers been lengthened, are there any cracks, has the stock been shortened, is it the original finish? If the barrels are damascus (most likely), you should see a pattern unless it is all worn off. I would not be surprised by the little info you gave that it's no more than around a $300.00 gun (if that). And most importantly, what is your intended purpose for it. You cannot shoot modern off the shells ammo through it and certainly no steel. This gun could very well be a $100.00 wall hanger.
 
I doubt that I would go over $200 for the gun, if that. There is a good chance that the underrib may be a bit loose from the attempt to resolder the forestock attachment back on. If so, it is a challenging job to resolder a rib although the lower rib is much easier than the upper rib

cheers mooncoon
 
Back
Top Bottom