Old JM Caswell Rifled muzzleloader circa mid 1800's

rpcw

Regular
Super GunNutz
Rating - 100%
269   0   0
Location
Ontario
This is a friends family heirloom from his great grandfather. We talked about it and I looked at it but don't know much about this gun. Is there anybody on here who has insight into this? I could only find limited info on the web.

Here are some pics;

IMG_0943_zps84a592df.jpg


IMG_0942_zpsd929e13d.jpg


IMG_0941_zpsc93c7330.jpg


IMG_0940_zpsb6001497.jpg


IMG_0939_zpscd417cab.jpg
 
.
There are over 20 pages in THE NEW YORK STATE FIREARMS TRADE,, by H. J. Swinney and Tom Rowe that pertain to John M. Caswell. It was the most important gunsmith shop in Upstate New York, during the 1820' & 1830's, in Lansingburgh, (now TROY) N.Y,. It employed between 20 to 25 men, and produced twenty plus rifles per week when in good production. John M. Caswell was born in Connecticut in 1777, the son of Thomas Caswell, also a gunsmith. John M. Caswell died on Sept. 4, 1857. The New York book contains pictures of a number of J. M. Caswell firearms of all types, including several pairs of pistols.

What you have shown here, is one very fine example of the Pennsylvania Rifle (also popularly known as a "Kentucky Rifle.") It is certainly worth four figures and possibly can command a five figure price at a larger specialty auction.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Thank you. That book is something I will help Dave find. He knew it was very old and was passed From Great Grandfather to Grandfather to Father and down to Dave.
 
Note that it was flintlock when made.
Extreme caution should be used when doing anything with this rifle. It is the real deal, and should be treated with care.
 
Very nice rifle. Do you know if the woodwork has been refinished at some point? It looks super nice compared to the finish that's left on the barrel, almost like the 2 don't match as far as age/useage goes. But no matter how you look at it, it's a fine looking old rifle.
 
Gorgeous example of an original longrifle, indeed. Many people would give their eye teeth for an example like that. As stated above, your friend is very fortunate.

Thanks for sharing the photos, it is great to look at the styles and artwork of these early rifles, to take into consideration when building a modern longrifle.

As pointed out above, it appears to be a flintlock conversion - what caliber is it?
 
Gorgeous example of an original longrifle, indeed. Many people would give their eye teeth for an example like that. As stated above, your friend is very fortunate.

Thanks for sharing the photos, it is great to look at the styles and artwork of these early rifles, to take into consideration when building a modern longrifle.

As pointed out above, it appears to be a flintlock conversion - what caliber is it?


I am not sure. I didn't measure it and it isn't indicated anywhere. What was neat was the depth of the rifling!

I will get Dave to pull out the Vernier and measure.

It may have been refinished at some point over its long life.

Thanks to all for the helpful posts.
 
That is truly a thing of beauty, made by a master craftsman. Several generations have done an excellent job of preserving it (no pressure):). I would be talking to somebody about applying a museum quality wax product on it if I were your friend. Oil works great if you remember to oil and clean it regularly...idle hands and the devil himself will claim that beaut for himself.
 
I almost had a heart attack when I saw the pix of this rifle - I have one virtually identical hanging on my wall! My late uncle had bought it about 1930 from a farm family (Culver) near Cobourg ON. Their ancestors had brought it to Canada when they immigrated from Long Island TN in the mid-late 1830's. It was missing the lock and broken through the grip but with help from a Port Hope gunsmith, Walter Jacob, it was restored well enough to be a nice wall-hanger. He tried unsuccessfully for 50 years to find out about it's origin, including letters to Capt. Dillon, author of "The Kentucky Rifle" and other authorities. Since I inherited it in the late 1980's I have contacted numerous collectors, The Kentucky Rifle Association and the National Muzzle Loading Rifle association, all without success except that it was identified as "probably from New York State and I had noted that it was quite similar to a Caswell rifle seen in a photo. Mine has no identification other than over the breech in small block letters is stamped "C. Waggon". We have found references to "Waggonner" but not C. Waggon. I have to wonder whether Waggon was an employee of the Caswell gun company.
My rifle shares the identical stock shape with comb line blending into the checkered grip, the small brass trigger guard and the unusual, but not unknown feature of a brass trigger and trigger plate. I has actually wondered whether the brass trigger and plate had been replacement parts made by my uncle when he did the restoration. My rifle was never a flintlock - produced as a percussion. Other features of my gun are an ornate ramrod entry pipe with a prominent wedge-shaped thumbnail - point facing rearward. Of particular note is that these rifles share identical patchboxes, both in design and the fact they are in two parts, not 4 parts as was most common. I could not determine how the patchbox lid was released, from the photos but mine has a "secret" release: that being that the toe plate is shaped like a beaver tail and depressing the beavertail releases the latch. I would be very interested to learn whether this gun has the same features. I would be eternally grateful if Buffdog would search his book for any info on a person named "C. Waggon.
I have been enthralled by this gun since childhood and was thrilled to finally inherit it as it was probably the main impetus for me getting into black powder shooting. It was not practical to restore it to shooting condition so about 7 years ago I set out to create a shooting copy and although it took a couple of years, I did it. I have won a few BP trail walks with it and shot a couple of deer too so in a sense have brought the spirit back to life I should add that on my oldie the bore was 44 or 45 caliber, the barrel was 40" long and 1 " straight octagon. My copy is the same except that I could only obtain a 15/16" barrel so used that instead.
RPCW: your friend has a wonderful find - encourage him to take care of it and not to rush into any "restoration" without consulting bona fide experts in antique guns because just about any fiddling will depreciate it's value. Thanks a million for your photos and PM me if you have any questions that I might help with. BTW, I would really appreciate photos showing the ramrod entry pipe, either of the forward pipes and the back side of the stock across from the lock to show the washer or inlay that receives the lock cross-bolt. Thanks again.
 
Back
Top Bottom