Old muzzleloader info please

Agree with JP ... looks like possible converted bess
To percussion ... and I'd be willing to say still a shooter
I'd have the gun cleaned and put bore light down
Very interesting ...
 
This arm also has a side plate which was used on the P1839 not the side cups as used on the P1842.
For good info on the P1839 go to British Militaria Forums scroll to British Flint and Percussion longarms ,click on P1839 sticky.
 
Pattern 39 or 42. Not even close to a Bess. I've owned many.
Perhaps used during Fenian Raids in Niagara. If so a very nice piece of history.
 
I have wanted to shoot this thing since I was a tall enough to take it down from the wall it was hanging on, but I don't think I would have the stones to shoot it. There is a crack in the metal where it is attached to the stock. You can see it in the last picture.
 
The crack in the tang has nothing to do with the strength of the barrel.
It could, however, affect how recoil is transmitted to the stock, with resulting stock damage.
If the inside of the barrel is as pitted as the outside near the breech, the barrel isn't a shooter.
Drop a little penlight down the barrel, pointing toward the muzzle. You'll be able to get an idea what the bore is like.
 
Any idea of a what this antique is worth? I'm changing my home insurance company and and am trying to figure out what my possessions are worth.
 
I saw a Pattern 39 with rod in very good condition sell at the Markham show couple months back, for $600. Mine at 750, and not as pretty, went back home with me.
 
What is odd is that the breech of the barrel and the bolster are quite rough, yet the lock and hammer are clean and smooth.
 
Back
Top Bottom