Old Photo of hunting party with leverguns

Win 38-55

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
This week, my best friend that I grew up with from back home in central Manitoba came out for a visit and brought with him some old photos, including the one below. The third fellow from the left is Claude Kaufman, a neighbour of ours who was old when I was a kid and his son who is still alive is 90 years old. The photo was taken around 1918 plus or minus.

Mr. Kaufman is holding a Winchester Model 1895, and so is the fellow to the right. The two fellows on the left look to be holding Winchester Model 1894's and the fellow second in from the right is holding a Marlin and I think it is a Model 1893. They have a lot of game .... deer, Moose, Elk, two bears and a fox. These men would have brought home a lot of meat, not only for themselves, but for their neighbours.

Mr-Kaufman.jpg
 
I cant remember if I posted these before but I think I did. Anyways these are pictures of my great great grandfather and one of his friends. My GG Grandfather was a known outlaw down in the US (known, not famous). He had actually been in numerous shootouts (and in once case with the local sheriff). He used to live with the county line in sight so if he seen the sheriff coming up the road he could be outside on a horse and over the county line before the sheriff and even knocked on the door.

Once though the sheriff surprised him and told him he needed to come to town with the sheriff and spend some time in jail. My great great grandfather though believed the sheriff would murder him on the way to jail (it happened more than a few times in that day and age, a sheriff would shoot the person and state they were trying to escape). Anyways my great great grandfather told my great great grandmother to come along and hide a pistol in her skirt folds. He told her that if anything happened to hand him the pistol and ride away fast. Well the sheriff was none to happy with her coming along but they reached the jail ok.

Here's a couple pictures of my great great grandfather with his Colt 1902 (in the first picture he's the one on the left), he actually had a pair of Colt 1902's. The lever action rifle you see lying on the ground in the 4th picture is actually in a museum down in the States. The museum is in Canyon City, Grant County, Oregon.
img0006a.jpg

img0005i.jpg

img0004o.jpg

img0003z.jpg

img0002l.jpg

img0001.jpg


Here is two more from the set I just found. The pictures were taken to be made into post cards. The rifle he is holding is the one in the museum in Oregon.
scan0010lj.jpg

scan00032.jpg

scan0001y.jpg

scan002.jpg

scan0003ts.jpg

scan0004g.jpg

scan0005je.jpg

scan006.jpg

scan0007q.jpg

scan0008z.jpg

scan0009h.jpg

scan0010fz.jpg

scan0011os.jpg

scan0012tz.jpg

scan0013.jpg

scan0014n.jpg

scan0015b.jpg

scan0016f.jpg

scan0017q.jpg

scan0001ew.jpg

scan0002l.jpg

scan0003a.jpg

scan0004u.jpg

scan0005me.jpg

scan0006s.jpg


This is one of two pictures that were featured in "Outdoor Life" in 1943, my great grandfather is on the right. Sadly I don't have the original of the other picture from the article.
scan0007c.jpg


scan0008hr.jpg

scan00012rk.jpg

scan0001xr.jpg

scan00022.jpg

scan0002iy.jpg

scan0003hh.jpg

scan0004km.jpg

scan0005sg.jpg

scan0006rb.jpg

scan0007o.jpg

scan0008vh.jpg


imgvnx.jpg

img2gpc.jpg

img3t.jpg

img4zoo.jpg


scan0009p.jpg
 
Last edited:
This will be a good thread and there will likely be some good history shown. Thanks Kirk for starting it.
Back in '70s I took up Coon Hunting along with some trapping that I was doing for a hobby and also to generate some extra cash to feed the dogs and make trips for some hunts down in the States. When I started this my mother dug out an old photo of a relative from back in the 20s or 30s that had the same interests that I had. The photo was taken back in New Brunswick near St Martins where she was born and brought up. The guy in the photo is holding a Winchester rifle and a pistol of some sort. What always impressed me was how noble and proud the old Coonhound looked.

CoonHunter.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom