Old powder and velocities

lyman54

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 90%
18   2   0
Yesterday my buddy came to the range with his chronograph and a old can of Meteor 1F black powder. In my Lyman GPR .54 we tested 3 powders. Pyrodex P averaged 1332 FPS, Triple 7 2F was at 1484 FPS and the old Meteor shot at 1109 FPS. Used a RB with 60gr of each powder. To be fair we only took 2 shots with Meteor and 4 with the other 2 powders. The old tin is pretty neat by itself.
 
A good portion of the difference was the difference in granulation. I would expect 1F to be at least 200 fps slower than the equivalent volume of 3F. Your Pyrodex P I would expect to be similar to 3 F. I would assume Goex 3F to be similar in velocitiy to Pyrodex P

cheers mooncoon
 
A good portion of the difference was the difference in granulation. I would expect 1F to be at least 200 fps slower than the equivalent volume of 3F. Your Pyrodex P I would expect to be similar to 3 F. I would assume Goex 3F to be similar in velocitiy to Pyrodex P

cheers mooncoon
Correct about the 1F. It's basically cannon powder, it did light off fast though. I use Pyrodex 3F mostly. I'm not sure where to find Goex aroun Mtl anymore
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom