Old shotgun shell loader question

vagrantviking

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
Location
Southern Alberta
Found this handy little device at a gunshow but it missing a piece or 2 and I'm hoping someone can tell me what it should look like.

20130405_214028_zpsdae302b9.jpg


20130405_214008_zps27d121d7.jpg


The tube that comes up from the base has some solder residue around the inside lip and should have held a de-priming pin of some sort. I'm fairly sure it was only meant to de-prime and re-prime cases but I'm hoping that there is more to learn about it. Anyone seen or used one like this?

More substantial than the nutcracker type priming tool I was using until it broke and the replacement I found doesn't look any better than the last one. Done hundreds with a hammer before that but like to find more elegant solutions.
 
the side with the tube on it should have an insert with a pin sticking up. The handle pushes down on the shell to deprime. The opposite side pushes the primer in. The ones that I have and have seen all had a simple post with depriming pin where yours has a tube

cheers mooncoon
 
What gauge are you looking to reload for?
I've 3 roll crimpers in my stuff, I'll need to keep back at least one for my personal use but after I ID which one; the rest are redundant to my needs.
 
Figured it was just a depriming pin that is missing but wasn't sure if there was anything else to it. I'll probably cut down and find a way to stand a lee decapper rod in the tube.

Emptied some shells this morning so I have some to try it out on anyway.

Thanks for the offer tokguy. I'll keep it in mind but right now I'm using 2 1/2" all brass shells with the overshot wad held in place with sodium silicate or by patching it tightly. Both work well as long as any glue doesn't get around the wad and glue the shot into one big lump. I'm having enough trouble hitting anything with a full pattern.
 
Back
Top Bottom