old SxS 12 gauge what is it and whats it worth

nova_scotian_guy

Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
(first sorry for the blury pics i will try and gett better one's )

well i have a chance to get a old sxs 12 gauge and woundering if it is worth to get and restore use for a wall hanger or have it for parts?... i will say that the barrels match the reciver (they both have a serial number that matches and the makers marks are the same )


on the top of the barrels there is the following marked
john t levell arms co boston mank

on the bottom of the barrels it is marked
hot forged
12 m

hon jorge(what i can make out for this one)

the proof marks are hard to see but 1 looks like 2 picks axes crossed with a dot on both sides 1 looks like 2 pick axes crossed with dots on both sides and top and i am unable to tell what the last one looks all 3 are marked on the barrels and the reciver


IMG_0777_zps8a2fb125.jpg


IMG_0775_zps16dcdcd6.jpg


IMG_0770_zps17c511fc.jpg


IMG_0767_zpsfd7c8abe.jpg
 
Looks pretty rough, I don't think I would bother. Looks like the locks and hammers are gone and the stock has been repaired also? Likely twist barrels as well. I don't recognize the name but there were literally hundreds, making and importing doubles in the 19th century.
 
the proof mark looks like it could be a Birmingham proof which would imply it is a british gun made for a Boston gun dealer or hardware storer. If the gun is complete and the barrels not badly pitted inside and everything working, I don't think I would go over $150 - $200 because it looks pretty rusty and the stock broken. If the gun is complete but the barrel really loose and badly pitted, maybe $50 as a wall hanger after you weld the barrels shut. In terms of spare parts, locks from one gun almost never fit another and about the only thing the locks would be useful for would be the hammers (if present) which could potentially be fitted to another gun in place of a missing hammer

cheers mooncoon
 
Why not fix it up?

The pictures are not the best but from what I CAN see, its looks like a nice project.

Have you any idea of the cost that would be involved in fixing this up if you are talking to shooting status. There are far better old guns out there to start with as a project if he wants to do that.


Edit--there are more pics of this gun now on the EE. Now you can see why I said there are far better projects.
 
Last edited:
Have you any idea of the cost that would be involved in fixing this up if you are talking to shooting status. There are far better old guns out there to start with as a project if he wants to do that.


Edit--there are more pics of this gun now on the EE. Now you can see why I said there are far better projects.

Well, without proper photos and knowing the true condition of the old beastie Im going to make some guesses here.

1,- stock repairs including pegging the damage and the cost of a good firearms grade epoxy "acraglas"

2,- cleaning the barrels and locks, replacing some springs if the lock springs are broken or soft aside from time your out perhaps 30 dollars at most for the springs.

3,- maybe some fabrication to make some new firing pins and return springs.

-Looking at the pictures on the EE the arm looks like a fun project, the worst of it maybe is finding a new set of locks....I have seen old pairs for 50 bucks or so, I would maybe cut the tubes down 2 or 3 inches and clean the old girl up...Why not, your never going to get what its worth on a sale or trade, so Id make the old girl dance.


I have restored some arms that were considered lost causes Its a great learning experience.
 
Last edited:
-Looking at the pictures on the EE the arm looks like a fun project, the worst of it maybe is finding a new set of locks....I have seen old pairs for 50 bucks or so, I would maybe cut the tubes down 2 or 3 inches and clean the old girl up..

I have restored some arms that were considered lost causes Its a great learning experience.

You have a lot more ambition than I. While there are moderate numbers of old locks floating around in gun shows, it would be a major project to fit them to a different gun from the one they were made for. The gun is one that I would consider too far gone to bother with except to make a pair of dummy locks and use the gun as a wall hanger

cheers mooncoon
 
Well, without proper photos and knowing the true condition of the old beastie Im going to make some guesses here.

1,-
2,- cleaning the barrels and locks, replacing some springs if the lock springs are broken or soft aside from time your out perhaps 30 dollars at most for the springs.

3,- maybe some fabrication to make some new firing pins and return springs.

-Looking at the pictures on the EE the arm looks like a fun project, the worst of it maybe is finding a new set of locks....I have seen old pairs for 50 bucks or so, I would maybe cut the tubes down 2 or 3 inches and clean the old girl up...Why not, your never going to get what its worth on a sale or trade, so Id make the old girl dance.


I have restored some arms that were considered lost causes Its a great learning experience.

The barrels are rusted right through on the bottom and there are no locks to repair and by the looks no forearm. If the intent is to fix it to shooting status one is courting with disaster and doing so only gives these old guns that are fit to shoot a bad rap. It isn't even worth the effort for a wall hanger. But to each their own.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom