opening a case of czech surplus

I found out after taking a ammo course that they give use bolt/wire cutters to open up the crates or everything we need to open up stuff, just gotta make sure you return the tools.
 
maybe I got a dud case, but all I needed was a set of visegrips. Pull down the right hand tab, then the top and bottom tabs. Used visegrips to yank the sheetmetal to the left, and just worked it back and forth a bit until the solder gave out. :cry: :cry: I was expecting so much more of a challenge :D
 
I used a mosin nagant bayonet, though a flat-tip screwdriver would have worked just as well but would have been less fun somehow, and a rubber mallet. Had to sort of break the solder in one place then work along the edge in either direction until there was enough metal open to just slip the boxes out. I tried pulling the tabs but they were just comming off. I would imagine that tin-snips would be quite usefull here.
 
After my 3rd case of this ammo I resorted to pulling the tabs in the correct order and presto, one very open tin box.
Previous to this I was under the distinct impression that the pull tabs were to be joined together with a heavy chain and attached to the pintle hitch on a duce and a half and dragged a couple of KM down a bumpy road. Then go back and pick up the loose ammo trailing behind the truck :lol:
 
Yes those cases are all about taking the path of least resistance. When I got my first box in garrison I had about 6 dudes take turns reefing on it with gerber mutli-tools until we realized that the two solders run perpendicular to each other and their respective tabs are folded over not their own solder but the one at 90 degrees to it. Thus one steady pull at the right solder line opened it right up.
 
get a grinder and put a cutting disc on it. Don't cut too deep though, just wound it enough that you can finish it with a bar/hammer/screw driver/tinsnips/whatever you've got lying around.
 
Grab one of the metal straps in a pair of vise grips, twist the vise grips in a rolling motion down the seam it should peel back with little force. Do the same on the second strap. Grab the edge of the square with the vise grips and peel the top off. And there you go open clean no sharp edge or ripped sheet metal to cut your self on.
 
Grab one of the metal straps in a pair of vise grips, twist the vise grips in a rolling motion down the seam it should peel back with little force. Do the same on the second strap. Grab the edge of the square with the vise grips and peel the top off. And there you go open clean no sharp edge or ripped sheet metal to cut your self on.

Exactly!, Is no one here old enough to remember Spam or any of the other canned meats that were so readily available up until the 80s?(I really don't know if they still are)...

...anywho, they all came with their own key and that was exactly how you opened them, as he said, it takes very little force.
 
That's why you have to go through boots camp.

When somebody is yelling at you "faster! faster!!!!"......, you will be able to open it in 2 seconds.
 
... um the russian army issues these things... called cann openers with the ammunition... sadly they don't sell them some times look on Cheaper then dirt i think they have one with our dollar probly be cheaper
 
You can try the old way of soldering in reverse. Had a guy solder my gas tank once. He heated up an old iron soldering rod with a torch and soldered it no flame exposed this way. But dependant on what it is soldered or welded closed with might be an issue for you.
 
1) Stand on the case
2) Put a pry bar or large screwdriver through one ring
3) Grasp pry bar/screwdriver on either side of ring
4) Stand up.

Repeat three times, easy as pie.
 
Ah this post sure brings back the memories. I think I can still see the image in my head of the mangled container. Oh look the scars are still on my hands after 5 years. :)

A lightsaber would do the trick
 
opening czech ammo can

Just opened a can using a propane torch. Just play the flame over the solder & scrape it away as it melts. grab a corner & start pulling. Had it open in 5 minutes, no cuts, no scars, no swearing, no sweat.
When the can was sealed, they had to heat up the can for the solder to melt to the metal & seal. Same heat to go in reverse & open it. melting point of solder is 90 - 450 F., flash point of paper is 451F, cardboard maybe a bit higher.
No scorch marks on cardboard inside.
 
Back
Top Bottom