opening a case of czech surplus

ollie

BANNED
BANNED
BANNED
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Location
Winterpeg
Just got my first case of Czech surplus 7.62x39. How the hell did you guys open yours? what, IYHO is the best way to open one? Mine was the sheet metal box all soldered together, I'm thinking either a soldering torch to melt it all off (boom?!?) or maybe a chisel to break the beads? I've tried a can opener, no dice. It hasnt got any lips on it to hold the opener on...
 
Everybody has this problem. I ended up rolling a towel through one of the rings, putting one foot on the metal container and pulling hard. I never did get the whole thing open, but managed to pull up one side enough to remove the cardboard boxes of ammo by hand from inside. Then locked the ammo in another box.
 
crow bar or hammer on the pull-rings worked for me. Some people have resorted to chiseling the soldered top of the metal inner-container too.
 
I tried the hammer and chisel method , simply breaking the beads untill i could get the ammo packs out. It worked! I gotta admit i was a little nervous though...Then I just repacked the ammo in the wood crate it all came in... thanks for the advice! maybe this should be made into a sticky, there has GOT to be a "right" way to do this. How did they open em in the field?
 
I use a pair of pliers, grip one end of the pull-rings (on the most upper one as they are overplaying sort of) and then simply turn the pliers around and around like you would use the key that you use to open a can of Spam. You might have to use a chisel or flat screwdriver to initially break the first bit of solder though. Do that with each pull-ring strip and you can leave the ammo in it as it was originally packed.
 
I remember breaking into my 7.62x54R using a combination of the above ways :x . Doing this at home is one thing. How the hell did they do this in the field, possibly under dire circumstances? Fix bayonets and charge at the crate?

(E) 8)
 
(((Echo))) said:
I remember breaking into my 7.62x54R using a combination of the above ways :x . Doing this at home is one thing. How the hell did they do this in the field, possibly under dire circumstances? Fix bayonets and charge at the crate?

(E) 8)

Thats a good question, How did they do this in the feild?

I have heard of using ones sling to open them.
 
can opening

Wear gloves!!! Nothing like that special feeling of a deep cut! After I broke the ring off :x I cut the top rim with a hacksaw and managed to get a pair of tin snips in and cut the lid open.


Good luck

Rob
 
I slipped a screwdriver through the ring, gripped both ends of the screwdriver, put a foot on the box and pulled.

I have opened about 6 boxes of this stuff this way. Get the biggest screw driver you got, slip the screw driver half way through on ring, put two feet on case and pull up.

If one strap breaks, your still okay, if two straps break you can use a pair of needle nose vise grips to grap the folded over edge and pull.

8)
 
Fremen said:
(((Echo))) said:
I remember breaking into my 7.62x54R using a combination of the above ways :x . Doing this at home is one thing. How the hell did they do this in the field, possibly under dire circumstances? Fix bayonets and charge at the crate?

(E) 8)

Thats a good question, How did they do this in the feild?

I have heard of using ones sling to open them.

Gerbers, Bayonets and well Force :D Last crate we had to open, we bashed it open.
 
The secret is to pull the strip that runs along the right side first. Then the top and bottom strips. The RH strip is over top of the other two and you will be lift two strips at once if you start with the top or bottom. I find a large framing hammer or crowbar through the ring works well. Or a 1/2" steel bar grasped with both hand and standing on the case with both feet.
 
SKScanuck said:
I slipped a screwdriver through the ring, gripped both ends of the screwdriver, put a foot on the box and pulled.

I have opened about 6 boxes of this stuff this way. Get the biggest screw driver you got, slip the screw driver half way through on ring, put two feet on case and pull up.

If one strap breaks, your still okay, if two straps break you can use a pair of needle nose vise grips to grap the folded over edge and pull.

8)

If you've got a Yugo SKS - use the bayonet. Slip it through one ring then use the leverage of the gun to pry the box open.
 
Bayoneting Your Ammo

pmt said:
If you've got a Yugo SKS - use the bayonet. Slip it through one ring then use the leverage of the gun to pry the box open.
This is all getting so frightfully butch all of a sudden :)
 
Oh, and I just got in my shipment from Canada Ammo.
Freaking pain to open, I needed a hammer, a chisel, a crow bar and some vise grips to fully take the lid off.
And I ain't a pencil pusher neither :shock:
Lots of lead to seal the tin. Very satisfied.
The head stamp markings are: bxn 71
 
Back
Top Bottom