opening a case of czech surplus

Grab a pair of pliers, facing the case, pull the ring on the right downwards (towards you, vertical ring) then get the two going across.
 
I just put a plastic bag on the metal (so goo doesn't get on my foot) put my foot over the side I was opening and pulled the tab with my finger through the loop x3. Once you pull it off the corner its fairly easy to pull off the rest of the way.
 
if you pull the ring directly back towards you, you will have a hell of a time. pull it back and to one side and then rock it either side as you pull it back, that will make the metal strip cut the solder/lead seal and it will go like butter.
 
Use a small crow-bar or a line up bar(a pointed ended crow-bar used to line up flanges in the
oilpatch)or a really beefy large screwdriver also works great.Stand on the edges of the can in the crate and insert the bar into the ring to about 1/3 of the tool's length.Pry back in the direction of the seam with the tip of the tool on the seam rotating sharply back,short sides first.This will give you all the mechanical advantage necessary to open the tin in no time.
How combloc soldiers opened these diabolical things with thier fingers,bayonettes or teeth is beyond me.
 
I really dont understand the difficulty. It is all about getting the tab started, anyway you want and pulling the correct tabs first.
 
Fingers in loops.. pull up and out.

If this fails to work... go to the gym you fail, you're too weak to handle a firearm. It's a old Communist pass/fail test. ;) Good thing that no one is shooting at you when you guys are trying to get at your can.

The only time I ever needed a tool was when I pulled the ring off the tab and needed a visegrip to get on the end of it. But I go through a case every 3-4 weeks so I get lots of practice. I've got 46" pipes on my middle finger now. :D


...In Mother Russia, ammo can opens YOU!
 
I just used a flathead screw driver and a hammer, took a minute to open. Then I just put the tin back into the wood box so it's easy to move around. :)

Next time maybe I'll make a video and post it here.
 
I read the order in which the tabs go in this thread, put an 18" screwdriver through the hole, put a foot on the box and give it a good yank. Guess it took a pretty good tug but came off fairly easy and it was straight forward.
 
maybe I got a dud case, but all I needed was a set of visegrips. Pull down the right hand tab, then the top and bottom tabs. Used visegrips to yank the sheetmetal to the left, and just worked it back and forth a bit until the solder gave out. :cry: :cry: I was expecting so much more of a challenge :D

Same here (but i used linesman's pliers). I don't get what the fuss is about... Grab the right side ring, put a foot on the center of the case to hold it down and just stand up... the edges will be sharp so be careful after with the top of the lid (don't want to cut any kids or the wife...)

Jeff
 
Back
Top Bottom