Hello folks,
I'd like to ask the more experienced among you a question about the interchangeability of parts between 'Original' and reproduction colt revolvers.
Is it feasible to expect any or all of the parts on modern reproduction Cap & Ball Colt revolvers to be interchangeable with those on an original?
I understand that a measure of hand fitting will be required, that doesn't seem scary to me - I'm simply wondering if it's something a layman enthusiast could do.
My question arose when I visited a gun show recently.
I noticed that there was a good deal of partially complete revolvers around with some of the parts being of variable quality.
Since these offerings were naturally less expensive than their all-matching counterparts, I wondered if it might be worthwhile to pick one up and swap out any suspect parts in order to have something antique that is 'shootable'
without feeling like I was endangering a an investment quality gun.
I'm sure there's a thread somewhere in which somebody has already undertaken this sort of task, so I'd be very grateful for any links as well.
I'd like to ask the more experienced among you a question about the interchangeability of parts between 'Original' and reproduction colt revolvers.
Is it feasible to expect any or all of the parts on modern reproduction Cap & Ball Colt revolvers to be interchangeable with those on an original?
I understand that a measure of hand fitting will be required, that doesn't seem scary to me - I'm simply wondering if it's something a layman enthusiast could do.
My question arose when I visited a gun show recently.
I noticed that there was a good deal of partially complete revolvers around with some of the parts being of variable quality.
Since these offerings were naturally less expensive than their all-matching counterparts, I wondered if it might be worthwhile to pick one up and swap out any suspect parts in order to have something antique that is 'shootable'
without feeling like I was endangering a an investment quality gun.
I'm sure there's a thread somewhere in which somebody has already undertaken this sort of task, so I'd be very grateful for any links as well.


















































