Original Colt 1860 Army question

knifemaker

New member
EE Expired
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Location
Northern Ontario
I recently aquired an original Colt 1860 Amy at a gun show and the cylinder chambers looked a little thin. When I got home I took the gun apart and inspected the cylinder. Someone had bored out each chamber just enough so that a .454 round ball is so loose that it will plop in and out all by itself. I couldn`t understand why someone would do this to a nice antique. Maybe it was used in the Movie industry and it was bored out so it could`nt accidentally be loaded. The rifeling in the barrel is still very crisp and I was looking forward to shooting it, but now I can`t. My question is: can I put a new cylinder on this gun without it changing the antique status of this gun which other than the cylinder is in very fine condition.
 
With a gun like that you have to ask yourself: Do I want to resell this as an antique and make some money or do I want to use it and give it to my kids????????
 
Sorry for the delay in replying. I Live on an island in Northern Ontario and I have no Hydro except what I make myself with solar panels and wind generator, so I`m not on my computer every day. Plus I am new to this forum, but I am getting the hang of it. Anyway thanks for the info. A .457 round ball just plops into the cylinder chamber. I don`t think the chambers were bored out recently for a quick resale, because the patina inside had a well aged patina and was not bright and shiny. I do think the previous owner did know about this because he said as soon as you load it, It has to be registered. I new this wasn`t true, but to be sure I checked with the RCMP and they said It can be loaded and fired and it is still an antique, and I can carry it in my vehicle as long as it is out of sight. I will put a new cylinder on this gun so I can shoot it, and I am not restricted by the laws that people with registerd guns have to follow. Where I live, I can shoot my guns on my property even on Sunday. I have an original 1873 Springfield carbine which I love to shoot. Won it in a cardgame 40 years ago on a $100.00 bet. Today it is worth about $2500.00 because it is in emaculate condition. I had to register it originally, but had it deregistered a year ago. Thanks again for the infomation. ( Knifemaker )
 
Back
Top Bottom