Original flint lock pistol

H4831

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
151   0   0
Location
BC
A couple months ago, I was visiting at a home and was showed a flint lock pistol. I just took a very casual look at it, thinking it was a reproduction.
I was recently talking to the gentleman, who by the way, is quite knowledgeable on firearms, and he said it was original, not a reproduction.
My casual observation showed it to be complete and it looked to be in good shooting condition. Other than that, all I can say is that the barrel was maybe 8 inches long and the bore size looked like I could have put my little finger down it! How's that for description?
His other firearms were registered, but he said this was rated antique.
I can't find in the various firearm acts and regualtions, where information is given on the rules for antique pistols. I believe no licence is required, but is there any restrictions on carrying, etc?
As a side note here, does anyone know the approximate value of the original flint lock pistol that appears to be in good shooting condition and has a barrel with bore diameter about like my little finger?
 
Waaaay to little information for any sort of evaluation.
There is a sticky in the antiques section with a flowchart to determine antique status.
Generally speaking, a pre-1898 flintlock pistol is an antique, and is not subject to licencing and registration. No ATT is required for transport.
 
There are a few antique firearms dealers in the country. It is a SMALL circle of guys. The one I know is John Denner in Eastern Ontario. Whether he is still active, or retired is another question. Approach him for an appraisal or a suggestion who might be able to help.

What is it worth? Condition Condition Condition
 
flintlock pistol

Greetings- sounds like an interesting piece-value of course depends on originality of condition, where it was made, who made it and level of finish such as engraving,inlays etc. sounds like about .50 cal so it's probably not a military piece hence the value might be higher from the start. value can range from a low of 4-500 on up into the 1500's or more. Picture is worthwhile at this point. cheers
 
I know, I was being a little funny about my lack of information.
But do any of you guys use original flintlock pistols in your BP shooting or have them locked away someplace?
In other words, if I wanted one of your shootable flint lock pistols which doesn't look beat up and is shootable, could I expect to buy one from you for $200? Or would I be asked $2,000?
 
Greetings- sounds like an interesting piece-value of course depends on originality of condition, where it was made, who made it and level of finish such as engraving,inlays etc. sounds like about .50 cal so it's probably not a military piece hence the value might be higher from the start. value can range from a low of 4-500 on up into the 1500's or more. Picture is worthwhile at this point. cheers

Oops,
I posted before I saw your post.
Thanks.
 
But do any of you guys use original flintlock pistols in your BP shooting or have them locked away someplace?

The pertinent sections for a muzzle loading pistol are cc 84 1(a), cc 84 3 and these basically say that an antique is not a firearm for the purposes of registration and licensing but becomes a firearm for storage and additionally if used in a crime.

Worth remembering that it is the barrel and breach plug which are considered the frame or receiver of a muzzle loader (pistol or rifle). With that in mind if you find an otherwise buggered up pre 1898 muzzle loading pistol, you can restock it and install a modern lock and trigger etc and it remains an antique. Not particularly different from rebarreling a Sharps or rolling block rifle.

Prices are going to vary all over the map depending on type, condition and maker, with belgian being the cheapest and a restocked, relocked barrel probably running $350 - $7 or 800

I have a rebuilt over under belgian pistol that I shoot occasionally in competition. On problem with using originals for competition is that many or most are smooth bore with either no or minimal sights and don't really lend themselves to target shooting. The small screw barrel ones can be used in derringer shoots

cheers mooncoon
 
When transporting an antique handgun it must be in a locked opaque container so no one can see it. There have been many threads about taking antique handguns out in the bush the same way you would a non-restricted (and non-registered!) rifle,and the conclusions are: don't conceal a loaded antique handgun and use discretion so as not to arouse concern from the normal 94% of the population (non-gunutz).
 
Pardon my numbskulledness.........so as I read and understand this, an antique
hand gun requires no permits, registration and such?
So, one holding only a PAL can own one?
Or is an RPAL needed?
Just trying to clear up "my" mind.
Thanks.
 
Pardon my numbskulledness.........so as I read and understand this, an antique
hand gun requires no permits, registration and such?
So, one holding only a PAL can own one?
Or is an RPAL needed?
Just trying to clear up "my" mind.
Thanks.

A PAL is not needed. You pays your money and you takes her away.
 
I know, I was being a little funny about my lack of information.
But do any of you guys use original flintlock pistols in your BP shooting or have them locked away someplace?
In other words, if I wanted one of your shootable flint lock pistols which doesn't look beat up and is shootable, could I expect to buy one from you for $200? Or would I be asked $2,000?
Whoa now H4831........2000 is ballpark price I paid for an antique double barrelled .65 calibre percussion pistol in shootable+ condition.
 
Last edited:
All this discussion of value is totally speculation without some photos and the final price, as usual, will depend on condition and possibly rarity. Post some photos.
 
OK, finally got a low resolution picture, but it may help a bit.
IMG_0807.jpg
 
the name on the lockplate seems to be Dawson. I am guessing the gun may be british although I can't find a listing for Dawson. I am also guessing that the gun is almost certainly a smoothbore. Locally it would probably sell for around $700 - $1000. Be fun to shoot but with no sights I suspect your accuracy would be mediocre

cheers mooncoon
 
the name on the lockplate seems to be Dawson. I am guessing the gun may be british although I can't find a listing for Dawson. I am also guessing that the gun is almost certainly a smoothbore. Locally it would probably sell for around $700 - $1000. Be fun to shoot but with no sights I suspect your accuracy would be mediocre

cheers mooncoon

No, the name doesn't appear to be Dawson, when I look at the original, but poor quality, picture. It appears to be more like "DAWXXT."
I looked at the gun, but didn't pay that much attention to it, because I didn't think I would be buying it. The pictures were sent to me later. But things change, and when registration comes through for couple of restricted, I will be driving a fair distance to get the two auto loading 22s and the flint lock.
Looking at pictures of what was called, "CARRIAGE PISTOLS," this looks very similar.
Yes, I am sertainly toying with the idea of shooting it. Hell, maybe one of my shooting buddies would like the honour of being the first to fire an original flintlock in maybe something like a hundred forty or fifty years!!!!
 
Greetings-photo is good enough to get an idea of the piece. missing original ramrod loses some value altho' in truth most originals have been replaced at some time over the years. my estimate on value would be to the low end of mooncoon's range -perhaps as low as 650-. might have had a small front sight at some time but it was a short range piece in its day for use up to 10 yds.
 
It looks very much like a trade pistol.
Note the unbridled frizzen, bet there is no bridle on the tumbler either.
 
OK, finally got a low resolution picture, but it may help a bit.
IMG_0807.jpg

In another thread you asked if this gun is shootable ie: safe to shoot. If it were mine I would want to shoot it but would take the barrel off the stock and carefully examine it inside and out. Who knows what may be lurking under the barrel. If there is serious corrosion to the point of weakening the barrel or any cracking of the metal I would keep it for display and buy a reproduction to shoot.
 
What ever it is, it is in very good condition. Screws are unbuggered, wood is not oil soaked, no major damage, Someone either cleaned it a long time ago or it was stored very well. IMHO pretty desirable piece.
 
Back
Top Bottom