Ottoman Matchlock

jpc

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
692   0   0
What do you think? Original or Khyber?


She sure looks interesting and is a smoothbore

About 50 cal

Barrel length is 39 inches

Inside of the stock certainly has age to it.

take care

jpc

Ottoman MatchLock 002.jpgOttoman MatchLock 003.jpgOttoman MatchLock 004.jpgOttoman MatchLock 005.jpg

Ottoman MatchLock 006.jpgOttoman MatchLock 007.jpgOttoman MatchLock 008.jpg
 

Attachments

  • Ottoman MatchLock 002.jpg
    Ottoman MatchLock 002.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 314
  • Ottoman MatchLock 003.jpg
    Ottoman MatchLock 003.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 314
  • Ottoman MatchLock 004.jpg
    Ottoman MatchLock 004.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 315
  • Ottoman MatchLock 005.jpg
    Ottoman MatchLock 005.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 315
  • Ottoman MatchLock 006.jpg
    Ottoman MatchLock 006.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 316
  • Ottoman MatchLock 007.jpg
    Ottoman MatchLock 007.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 313
  • Ottoman MatchLock 008.jpg
    Ottoman MatchLock 008.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 315
Last edited:
I spent some time in turkey and Morocco and the stores are so full of "modern antiques" that its really difficult to take any of these seriously. One thing that jumps out at me is the complete patina on the item, almost like the whole thing has been antiqued all at once.. In any case if it is or isn't real be careful shooting it!
 
I have one almost identical except the butt stock was broken off it when I got the gun. I intend to drill through the breach and install a threaded plug because I think the original breach was forge welded in place. I suspect that yours may have come from somewhere near the Khyber Pass because the butt contour is slightly like a jezail. The matchlocks that I have seen before had a straight butt stock rather than that dished or curved one

cheers mooncoon
 
The way the butt on the stock is chipped away and the wire repair instead of the same bands as the rest of the barrel makes me think that it's at least an older reproduction even if it's nor an actual original. And that chipping out might well explain the other cracks.

The other thing that makes me shake my head is the extremely short travel of the serpentine. That is super close to the powder! !
 
The way the butt on the stock is chipped away and the wire repair instead of the same bands as the rest of the barrel makes me think that it's at least an older reproduction even if it's nor an actual original. And that chipping out might well explain the other cracks.

Most of the fake antiques that I saw in morocco had wire, bent nails etc you'd be amazed at the lengths these guys go to.
 
I would be very surprised if that gun was a tourist gun. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the barrel in particular is old. I also think that the most recent owners of such guns were poor and would not hesitate to use wire to repair their gun and keep it shooting. What is unusual about the gun is that the ones that I have seen have a separate piece of wood at the back of the barrel because that was necessary to allow them to hollow out the wood and get the serpent and trigger / trigger spring into the stock. That should not be taken to mean that the gun pictured is a phoney because the original maker found a different way to inlet the serpent and trigger (which is missing)

cheers mooncoon
 
Today I slipped the barrel bands and removed the barrel. Gave her a good oil bath and a vigorous rub with a flannel rag. Some amazing workmanship under all that gunge :)

Ottoman Matchlock 009.jpgOttoman Matchlock 010.jpgOttoman Matchlock 011.jpgOttoman Matchlock 012.jpgOttoman Matchlock 013.jpgOttoman Matchlock 014.jpg
 

Attachments

  • Ottoman Matchlock 009.jpg
    Ottoman Matchlock 009.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 124
  • Ottoman Matchlock 010.jpg
    Ottoman Matchlock 010.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 123
  • Ottoman Matchlock 011.jpg
    Ottoman Matchlock 011.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 123
  • Ottoman Matchlock 012.jpg
    Ottoman Matchlock 012.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 123
  • Ottoman Matchlock 013.jpg
    Ottoman Matchlock 013.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 124
  • Ottoman Matchlock 014.jpg
    Ottoman Matchlock 014.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 123
I have one almost identical except the butt stock was broken off it when I got the gun. I intend to drill through the breach and install a threaded plug because I think the original breach was forge welded in place. I suspect that yours may have come from somewhere near the Khyber Pass because the butt contour is slightly like a jezail. The matchlocks that I have seen before had a straight butt stock rather than that dished or curved one

cheers mooncoon

Would be very interested in seeing a pictures if you have one

take care

jpc
 
Would be very interested in seeing a pictures if you have one

Here are some photos; tongue in cheek; you can see it was a tourist gun because of the goatskin binding holding the barrel in. What is obvious is that I felt the stock could not be salvaged and have restocked the gun, but have not had enough time to drill and install a breach plug so that I can be sure of the strength of the breaching in the gun









 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom