P320 "Drop Unsafe" - revisiting the myth...?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Location
Earth
Is it an over-blown a myth as I've heard or is it still an actual problem? I got mine about 6 months before the handgun freeze started.
Because I like mine and while I didn't shoot that many rounds, I've had no issues so far. Even gave it a nice MCK thingy
 
It's a real deal. A number of police and military have had ADs or as they call it "Uncommanded Discharges". There's a number of tests you can do to see if yours is prone to an "Uncommanded Discharge". Check out various You Tube videos that have explored this issue.

It doesn't sound like SIG is making any real effort to get on top of this simply claiming everything to be shooter error.

Many well known firearms instruction schools have either refused to admit students who run the SIG P320 or made arrangements to place them at the end of the ready line to mitigate the risk.
 
It's a real deal. A number of police and military have had ADs or as they call it "Uncommanded Discharges". There's a number of tests you can do to see if yours is prone to an "Uncommanded Discharge". Check out various You Tube videos that have explored this issue.

It doesn't sound like SIG is making any real effort to get on top of this simply claiming everything to be shooter error.

Many well known firearms instruction schools have either refused to admit students who run the SIG P320 or made arrangements to place them at the end of the ready line to mitigate the risk.

There was a voluntary recall at one point or some such right?

The one I had was sent back at some point for some new trigger parts, I don't know what was involved, under the idea that inertia would be less of a factor if the gun was dropped.

Guess that didn't fix things lol
 
There was a voluntary recall at one point or some such right?

The one I had was sent back at some point for some new trigger parts, I don't know what was involved, under the idea that inertia would be less of a factor if the gun was dropped.

Guess that didn't fix things lol
That as I recall was the first issue and I'm not sure if that was only with the P320 - Trigger inertia. If the pistol fell and hit the ground or concrete the trigger was weighty enough (and pull light enough) that it would travel to the rear of the handgun and discharge it so the fix (as I recall) was installation of a lighter trigger that had less inertia.

This new issue and peculiar to the P320 was potentially slide to frame fit. When the slide was flexed against the polymer frame (as might happen in a police holster with enough body movement) the 3/4 precocked striker could discharge resulting in enough of a strike to fire the handgun while still in the holster.

To date I haven't heard of any real diagnosis or fix to this issue. This has resulted in a major lack of confidence by the industry/culture so that the reputation of the P320 line has been damaged - perhaps permanently.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom