Just got the notification that my application is now in progress! (All references completed.)
I've been window shopping a bit over the last few weeks, shot a few rentals at a range, and am now trying to get an idea of what I actually want to own.
I'd be grateful to hear recommendations / pros and cons from you guys.
So far I've got:
What I think I'd still need now:
What I might need down the line:
I've been window shopping a bit over the last few weeks, shot a few rentals at a range, and am now trying to get an idea of what I actually want to own.
I'd be grateful to hear recommendations / pros and cons from you guys.
Use Cases
Target Shooting
- I'd love a semi-auto center fire like the Makasi, Carmel, or Backland Hunter Comp, but am wary of the QC issues I see popping up with early production units. How does something like a warranty claim/repair usually work? There's of course also the risk of future prohibition, so maybe something like the MRA renegade Mk2?
- Mechanically, I think it would be interesting for longer than a .22 plinker, given that in my province we're only allowed paper targets as well.
Skeet Shooting / Duck Hunting
- I've been skeet shooting once and did quite enjoy the more dynamic nature of it, so a shotgun is in my future for sure.
- Ideally, something that could do both skeet and duck hunting, though I do see it frequently mentioned that semi-auto shotguns struggle with low-vel target loads used for skeet shooting—does anyone have any recommendations here?
- I tried out a Winchester SX4, but the clerk was quite clear that it would be unreliable for skeet and recommended a dedicated pump or over-under for that.
Large Game Hunting
- A bolt action in .308 or 6.5 Creedmoor is what universally seems to be recommended here.
- A clerk told me to save on the gun and buy more optics—it seems like even comparatively affordable rifles like the Stevens 334 or a Savage Axis (which comes with a scope?) would do the trick here.
Equipment
So far I've got:
- A pair of Razor Slim Electronic Muffs
- A pair of ballistic glasses
What I think I'd still need now:
- Rifle bag(s) and trigger lock(s)
- Ammunition storage and lock
What I might need down the line:
- Gloves (for the winter?) - I see people use Mechanix?
- A shooting mat (longer range outdoor shooting?)
Last edited:


















































