Paper Patch .357 SWC - Maynard 1865 Sporting

cigar_man

CGN frequent flyer
GunNutz
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
Location
Ontari Ari Oh
Well, when your too dam cheap to buy the proper mold, Paper Patch will do.

Picked up an 1865 Maynard Sporting Rifle from a fellow Nutzer.
.36 Percussion and extra matching Percussion shotgun barrel (.20 gauge?)

Slugged the bore.
Bore size, dead on .360
.354 lands to lands as I say it.

A custom mold is big $.

After all said and done, I think I will break out the Visa.

Original cartridge is
.360 – 160 grains
30 grains BP

I do not have a mold of the sort on hand. .36 - 160 grains

Lets dig around and see what I can find.

Broke out some .358 - 158 grain SWC
Pushed them threw a size die to .355

Now onto the paper patching.
It’s like rolling a cigarette butt with paper, too d@m small.

I will be loading them up with about 25 grains of 2F Goex to start.
I may even try a batch with American Pioneer 3 F

Range testing will be Friday night.

Yes it's empty, if anyone is wondering.
That Montecristo box is long empty. mm mm mm

IMG_0697.jpg


IMG_0698.jpg


IMG_0696.jpg
 
Last edited:
Get yourself a period correct design mold, whether PP or GG.

Yes sir, I plan on it.

Just making do with what's on hand.

I am into a custom mold on this one.

Maynard shot great and swallowed those paper patched babies like they where made for it.

My Maynard has not been shot in a great many years.

It is in excellent shooting condition.

Brass is a little hard to come by.
$2.50 each out of the U.S.

[youtube]uL760Lip-T8[/youtube]

IMG_0725.jpg


IMG_0727.jpg


crazy question perhaps but what kind of paper is used for this?

Here is a good introduction.

http://www.researchpress.co.uk/shooting/lrml/ammunition/patching.htm
 
Last edited:
Well done, nice find. From what I understand, some Maynards used a case-head like disk that would seat behind the powder charge. One was included with the rifle and also supplied was a pick to remove the spent Berdan primer. Additional disks were available, but they were very costly.
 
Last edited:
swallowed those paper patched babies like they where made for it./QUOTE]

They were made for it. Nice work. It will be a shame when the 200 dollar mold droppings shoot only as well as the paper patched loads.

Paper is the answer to alot of reloading challenges (heeled bullets etc). Thanks for posting.
 
Back
Top Bottom