Paper Patching for .577 Snider

Polar_Hunter

Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Not sure if I am a "lover of the old ways" or just a lover of old guns (I don't shoot black) but I am hopeful that my attempts at paper patching will work well. My first paper patched bullets are ready to test and compare with my powder coated bullets.



Video showing the "third hand" that I needed to get consistent results,,,,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr7YnlNzU-Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3lfJDSnUxA&t=1s
 
I would also be interested in your shooting results. My Snider is one of my most favorite guns to shoot.
 
I don't think that I have paper patched snider bullets but have done it to 2 or 3 cartridges in the 45 caliber range. I use 100% rag content paper, dip the paper in cool water and shake dry then wrap 2 turns onto the slug. The patches are cut with a template and have diagonal ends rather than square across like in the video. The paper is .004" thick and I size them afterwards. I make my own sizing dies and what is important is that the transition from oversize to sized diameter is tapered rather than a relatively sharp shoulder. A sharp shoulder will more or less scrape the paper off while a taper will crush the paper and compress it to the finished diameter. I also used a bullet that was about .002" smaller diameter than the bore diameter and I am not sure just how much clearance is desireable. I did have trouble twisting the tail end of the paper up although during sizing, the base of the paper gets crushed almost flat. Most recently I have been experimenting with using a small shoulder just behind the ogive at the front, because it gives the paper something to butt up against as well as perhaps protecting the paper as it enters the rifling during shooting

cheers mooncoon
 
"mooncoon",,, in the video I was using bullets that I had on hand to experiment with. The finished cartridges in the photo are from an old Lyman mold that cast under size and the paper is cut to a "parrallelogram" shape. I don't have a stationary store nearby so I'm limited in my choice of paper. In this case I used printer paper which wraps nicely and gives me .590 with two full wraps.
 
Polar_Hunter: This will be interesting. I find pure beeswax (as with the original ammo) so effective and easy to apply that I don't think I'll be trying it but will watch your results with interest. For anyone not familiar, the spec for snider ammo called for a complete coating of pure beeswax from the bottom of the bullet to above the upper cannelure. It was supposed to fill the cannelures and coat the surface in between. The theory is that, as the bullet expands, wax is squeezed out of the cannelures onto the bore. In period tests accuracy didn't fall off after hundreds of shots.

milsurpo
 
The paper patch show promise. Wasn't a pleasant day to shoot (-5 with a wind) but the forecast didn't show much hope for the better. The load that I used for the waxed lubed bullets will need some work. When compared, the paper patch have noticeably less recoil than the waxed bullets at the same load. The Chrony will have to come out first thing in the spring.

 
I see in one of your video's that it shows a target with a loading of 5744 powder. Is this Accurate Arms powder and if so how do you find it in the Snider?
 
I see in one of your video's that it shows a target with a loading of 5744 powder. Is this Accurate Arms powder and if so how do you find it in the Snider?

I like 5744 but it is expensive. It performs very well for me. Before using it I contacted Accurate arms with a request for load data. Fortunately I worked up starting below their start load. IMO their recommendations are to high. If you start at 32 gr and work up I expect you will find that around 35 gr is hot enough. I have tested as high as 37 gr but would not recommend it.
 
This is a "copy & paste" from the reply that I got concerning 5744,,,,

Caliber: .577 Snider.
Pressure Spec: <21756Psi/1500Bar (CIP)
Barrel length: 36”
Powder: Accurate – 5744®
Bullet weight: 450 grains
Start load: 44.0 grains (ca 1600 Fps)
Maximum load: 49.0 grains (ca 1800Fps)
Bullet weight: 515 grains
Start load: 40.0 grains (ca 1500 Fps)
Maximum load: 47.0 grains (ca 1700Fps) LD ca 60%
Bullet weight: 560 grains
Start load: 37.8 grains (ca 1400 Fps)
Maximum load: 42.0 grains (ca 1500 Fps) LD ca 53%
NOTES:
It’ important to note that SAFETY is our prime concern therefore we strongly recommend.
4. ALWAYS BEGIN LOADING AT THE RECOMMENDED MINIMUM “START” LOAD and develop loads in 2% increments towards the MAXIMUM load.
5. CAUTION: Beware of double charging if the loading density is below 50% of the available volume.
Example: Most Handgun caliber/powder combinations

In my gun using Magtech brass and a 530 gr bullet,,,

35 gr of 5744 = 1000+ fps

37 gr of 5744 = 1200+ fps
 
This is a "copy & paste" from the reply that I got concerning 5744,,,,

Caliber: .577 Snider.
Pressure Spec: <21756Psi/1500Bar (CIP)
Barrel length: 36”
Powder: Accurate – 5744®
Bullet weight: 450 grains
Start load: 44.0 grains (ca 1600 Fps)
Maximum load: 49.0 grains (ca 1800Fps)
Bullet weight: 515 grains
Start load: 40.0 grains (ca 1500 Fps)
Maximum load: 47.0 grains (ca 1700Fps) LD ca 60%
Bullet weight: 560 grains
Start load: 37.8 grains (ca 1400 Fps)
Maximum load: 42.0 grains (ca 1500 Fps) LD ca 53%
NOTES:
It’ important to note that SAFETY is our prime concern therefore we strongly recommend.
4. ALWAYS BEGIN LOADING AT THE RECOMMENDED MINIMUM “START” LOAD and develop loads in 2% increments towards the MAXIMUM load.
5. CAUTION: Beware of double charging if the loading density is below 50% of the available volume.
Example: Most Handgun caliber/powder combinations

In my gun using Magtech brass and a 530 gr bullet,,,

35 gr of 5744 = 1000+ fps

37 gr of 5744 = 1200+ fps

Thank you very much for sharing the load data. I will start with a low starting charge as I dont want to beat up my gun too much.
 
Back
Top Bottom