Paper Shotshell For A Rifled Flintlock?

maple leaf

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Location
SW Ontario
I've heard that you could make a paper Shotshell for a flintlock rifle and get decent shot patterns out to 20 yards. Has anyone tried this before? I know shot down a rifled barrel alone will give you a "doughnut" effect with the shot all in a circle with nothing in the centre. However, from what I have read, the paper shell (which holds the shot) keeps the shot together longer in the barrel and doesn't have the same effect as without it.

Has anyone experimented with this and if so, how did you make yours? I currently have a .54 flinter and would love to try this, but an a newbie when it comes to shooting anything other than roundballs.

Thanks!
 
I heard it could be done and it got me wondering is all.

Honestly, just give it a try and check it out.

I have a smooth bore flinter and I shoot buck and shot out of it with good results, I have used paper shot cartridges as well, they work pretty decently. My .75 spreads quite badly at short ranges so It's all I can do to keep it grouped a little better. I have used tow wadding, paper card wads, paper ball wads and my favorite tow ball with a 12 gauge plastic shot cup, shot/buck and then another tow ball to seal the deal, that works best followed by the paper shot cartridge.

I know yours has rifling and it may just negate everything but perhaps also the paper will hold it together "outside the muzzle" long enough to lose some of the spin and help keep it grouped. Again, give it a try, see what happens, it could very well allow you to hunt tree rats or rabbits reliably.

EDIT:

Sorry I had a video of someone hunting and I thought it was with his rifle but I was wrong, it was a .62 smoothy.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom