Parker Hale 1858 2-Band Replica

centerline

New member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Location
New Brunswick
Mine shoots a bit to the right. Neither the front nor the rear sights have any provision for windage adjustment. Have any of you other owners found an accessory or figured out a fix that permits windage adjustment without drilling/milling or otherwise abusing this otherwise fine rifle?
 
If it was mine I might try different projectiles and / or vary powder charges or types of powders. It is a very good question as none of the military rifles of that era had windage adjustable sights. The front sights were all silver soldered in place and the rears just don't adjust except for elevation. Somewhere I have seen comments that military armourers of that period actually had jigs to "bend" barrels which were off by more than "minute of man". Possibly some of the experts at the LRML or the British Militaria forums would know. Your rifle is one of the absolute best, being constructed using the original tooling from the Royal Museum by Parker Hale. I just purchased a P1853 Parker Hale rifle but I can't give you any comparison as my first range trip was futile. Which bullet do you use? Dave
 
My 3 band shoots 6 inches to the right. Mind you it does so while producing 2-3" groups...I am using the Lyman minnie that is designed for the Parker Hale muskets. I cannot recall the model number but there is a "PH" prefix in it. In my experience it is the best projectile to use, especially in the Musketoon.

Cheers. Steve.
 
Thank you for the suggestion and info. I was using Lee 470 grain target minie, lubed with liquid Alox, with 70 grain pyrodex RS. I haven't yet shot it enough to form an opinion on accuracy. I also tried a few shots with patched round ball, which also hit to the right. Next trip to range I'll try some heavier loads of powder. Perhaps, as you suggest, some particular combination may correct the windage. I was hoping someone had discovered an aftermarket add-on for the front or rear sight. One possibility that I can visualize would be a bolt-on higher front sight, adjustable for windage, that would work with the rear sight in the elevated, long range position. But I'm hoping that somebody has already figured it out, perhaps even 100 years ago, since I'm sure that I'm not the first shooter troubled by poor windage.
 
Good morning Centerline....I'm back. I have seen all sorts of front sights rigged up for the Snider Enfield. It is the same rifle that you are shooting except it was converted into a breech loader. My last solution to the problem was to have my gunsmith fashion a front sight similar in appearance to the original except that it is 1/4 inch higher. He unsoldered the original and silver soldered the new one in place. It looks fine and shoots exactly where I want it to shoot...with round ball loads. Now, had this rifle been shooting right or left he could have soldered it a bit left or right as necessary. Your rifle is not a historic piece so changing the front sight does not pose an ethical issue. I have often wondered why someone hasn't fashioned a front sight which slips over the barrel and has a set screw to keep it in place. I use a slip on front sight for my other Sniders which works and has windage adjustments built in. If you want a photo of this sight then send me your e-mail address, Dave
 
Parker Hale Minnie

I have posted this by request for a fellow CGN'r. This is The Parker Hale Minnie. It is the Lyman item # 2650213/ 575213P/565 grain mold. I cast it from pure lead with 1 bar of 50/50 lead/tin solder. A bar is 1.2 pounds. You can get bar solder from a plumbing wholesaler. It works superbly in my 3 bander and Musketoon (the only minnie that will) and is also so in my 3 band Snider (just don't use a shot column in the cartridge...).

6hm048.jpg

2nv4cpf.jpg


Accurate BUT still shoots to the right! RATS!

Cheers. Steve.
 
Back
Top Bottom