Parker-Hale 1861 Enfield repros

H4831

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
151   0   0
Location
BC
Have any of you BP shooters used these!
They were made by Parker Hale in England in the 1970s.
Here is a link to them and I believe mine is the first generation of them, as there were some changes to the P-H models made in England, before they sold the rights to Italy.
http://www.authentic-campaigner.com...1580-THE-PARKER-HALE-ENFIELD-By-Craig-L-Barry
Not being BP shooter, I know very little about them. This one has some minor handling marks, but I can't tell if it has been shot, or not. Can someone tell me how to determine whether or not it has been shot?
Also, could someone give me a rough idea of value?
Thanks, Bruce


These were made by Parker Hale in England in the 1970s.
Here is a link to them and I believe mine is the first generation of them, as there were some changes to the P-H models made in England, before they sold the rights to Italy.

http://www.authentic-campaigner.com...1580-THE-PARKER-HALE-ENFIELD-By-Craig-L-Barry
 
Nice looking rifle. You have a "muskatoon". I had one still new in the box with all accessories that I traded to a forum member last year. I still have a 3 band that is like new. Value ranges all over depending on what a person thinks they can get for them. For my 3 band I believe I paid around $800.00 for it a couple of years ago. You will see typical used examples of the 3 band or muskatoon at anywhere from $450.00 to $600.00. They have to be very nice to bring above that. As far as telling if it's been shot, there are a couple of things you could look for. Is there any pitting or powder burns around the nipple area? It looks like there is some discoloration/flashing around the nipple area in your pic but it might be just the way the pic makes it look. Does the nipple look to be a bit "mushroomed". Can you see any residue of powder down the bore if looking with a light. If you remove the nipple can you see any powder or powder burns. Any signs of rust in the bore from improper drying or lube after cleaning? However, it doesn't appear to have been shot much at all.
 
I have one of those unfired in the box complete with the sargeants tool.To see if it has been fired look at the ramrod and see if it is discolored from loading(it should be shiny and bright if not used), aslo check out the wood beside the nipple bolster and see if has been stained black somewhat from the flash of the cap and BP.The brass trim would also has a more tarnished look than normal do to the shooting and handling the gun.I would also check for slight scratches on the barrel by the barrel bands as they would be evidence the barrel was removed for cleaning.They are great little guns and are amoung the best 0f production muzzleloaders.Price about $400 -$700 used depending upon condition and around $800 to $1000 if an early model new in the box with all accessories
 
The gun is not a virgin, it has been fired! The discoloration, noted in the picture around the nipple area was a residue.
I took the nipple out and what residue that was on it and in the area, easily wiped off with an oily cloth and left no sign of pitting.
I put a cloth patch cleaning rod down the barrel and it came out about as clean as it went in. I then put a small light down the barrel and it is shiny bright all the way, including what can be seen at the end.
So thanks again, guys.
Bruce
 
Purchased this exact same carbine NIB back in ? 72 ?73?. Definitely a short range firearm. If you are going to shoot it .577 minies MAY need to be paper patched and anything over about 60 gr. FFg is wasted ( but produces a beautiful tongue of flame at night LOL). Never tried patched round ball. Took it whitetail hunting a couple of years but not enough heavy bush in the very southwest corner of MB. to get a shot at an acceptable range. This was my first blackpowder gun and, as a batchelor, I cleaned it in the kitchen sink! Started to after I got married and ended up out on the front step VERY quickly. Kayceel
 
I bought mine NIB in 1974, but it was already three years old - Serial #1167. I shoot it with a Lyman thick skirt Minié bullet - 50/50 Beeswax and Neat's Foot oil lube over 55gr of FFg. Makes about a 2" five shot group at 50m. Noobs love it. See it on Youtube - tac's guns musketoon.

tac
 
Back
Top Bottom