Part 2: Pics of the 1873 Winchester

DANCESWITHEMPTIES

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Uber Super GunNutz
Rating - 100%
99   0   0
Ok, as promised here are a ton of pics of the 1873 Winney I picked up last week. I believe it was manufactured in 1885 as it's serial number is 206***B.
On top of the barrel has what I thought a strange stamping (pictured), with the words: "KING'S-IMPROVEMENT" & then the patent dates. Is that normal on Winchester barrels? Is this statement with regards to the metal used in the barrel? If not what does it mean? The rest of the rifle is in very good condition. No cracks or deep gouges; the worst being on the forward most part of the forearm on the right hand side. The metal to wood fit is excellent. The bore is what I would consider excellent for a gun of this age, with strong rifling. The springs & mechanics of the rifle are tight & crisp. And all the parts are there with no badly butchered screw heads. Just next to no finish left... So what do ya think?



P8290050.jpg

P8290052.jpg

P8290053.jpg

P8290053.jpg

P8290055.jpg

P8290055.jpg

P8290057.jpg

P8290060.jpg

P8290061.jpg

P8290063.jpg

P8290063.jpg

P8290066.jpg

P8290069.jpg

P8290070.jpg

P8290072.jpg

P8290073.jpg

P8290074.jpg

P8290078.jpg

P8290079.jpg

P8290085.jpg

P8290086.jpg

P8290087.jpg

P8290089.jpg
 
By the time the 1866 'Improved Henry' was designed, B. Tyler Henry and the newly named Winchester company had parted company on less than friendly terms. King (wish I could remember his first name) was the guy Winchester hired to replace Henry as shop superintendent. The loading gate King patented for the '66 was always referred to as the King's Patent. Oliver Winchester believed in allowing the patents to be issued in his employees' names; the patent for the Henry rifle had been issued in Henry's name
 
I was just ask if the rifle had a heavy barrel or a normal barrel? Is there anyone who can tell me the difference?
 
Looks like a nice old 73, just about all you see have no finish.
The barrel looks like a standard octagon, is it a 24 inch?
Nice that you have the dust cover, a lot of them are missing.
In my neck of the woods it would go for $800-$1000.
Notice I said "GO FOR", not advertise for.
Most 73's have bad bores, yours looks pretty good.
 
Back
Top Bottom