Pattern 1856 Short Rifle

Road King

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
Picked up this nice Pattern 1856 Short Rifle today and thought I would share it with you guys. This is likely one of the best 1856 Short Rifles I have ever owned. It was very dirty but cleaned up well with a little elbow grease. What was surprising was how well the bore cleaned up, looked almost like new. Then I examined the nipple and almost think that this gun was used very little. It is very well marked with John Dickson & Son, Edinberg, 1860 marked on the lock plate. The stock maker W&CS is marked onthe butt and in the ram rod channel. The rifle has it's original ram rod , marked Gilbert and also is equiped with the original nipple protector. The gun also still has the bayonet lug for the Yataghan sword bayonet.
These rifles were issued to the Rifle Brigade and the 60th Regiment, the Cape Mounted Rifles, the Royal Canadian Rifles and to all sergents of Line Regiments. (quote from British Military Longarms 1815-1865 by D.W.Bailey)

Hope to hear from some of the more seasoned collectors of British Military Firearms on this site.

DSC06849.jpg


DSC06850.jpg


DSC06851.jpg


DSC06852.jpg


DSC06839.jpg


DSC06854.jpg


DSC06855.jpg


DSC06845.jpg


DSC06856.jpg


DSC06857.jpg


DSC06858.jpg
 
Fine rifle!

Interestingly I have a dickson that is nearly identical except there is no sling swivels or bayonet bar. Or nipple protector.

Inside the lock is marked pryse and redman. The barrel is turner. And the stock is marked C Baker. Proof marks are also in the barrel channel instead of exposed.

Brett
 
Fine rifle!

Interestingly I have a dickson that is nearly identical except there is no sling swivels or bayonet bar. Or nipple protector.

Inside the lock is marked pryse and redman. The barrel is turner. And the stock is marked C Baker. Proof marks are also in the barrel channel instead of exposed.

Brett

Your gun would one of the commercial models and the one I have would have made for a Volunteer Unit. The inside of my lock is marked J. BRAZIER

DSC07000.jpg

I haven't removed the barrel yet to see who the barrel maker was.
 
Back
Top Bottom