Peabody conversion

Noel

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
245   0   0
Delete

Hi kids,

I’m taking a hard look at a Peabody that is rimfire. If it can be had at a reasonable price does anyone know of a source for a centerfire breach block? A search here led me to GrantR getting one from Dixie, unless I’m more illiterate than usual they no longer list any available.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
 
Last edited:
The providence tool company the current makers of peabody replicas offer a rimfire to centerfire conversion service for original peabody rifles.They might be able to either sell you a new breech block or convert your breech block
 
It would not be particularly difficult to convert a rimfire breach to centerfire. Photos show a centerfire breach. I would use something like drill rod to make a new pin and only harden the end where the hammer hits. You could also use the original rimfire pin and silver solder a new end on it. (high temp silver solder)

cheers mooncoon



 
I've done 2 Peabody CF conversions.(both done by a friend of mine).

In both cases I bought a spare RF block from Dixie and had it converted...but, they are now out of them.

I want to do another one...not really wanting to alter my rifle but CF 50-70 brass is available and RF isn't.

I have pics of how to convert a block, as I recall GrantR kindly provided them. If anyone wants them send your email.
 
Thanks guys!

What kind of accuracy can one hope to achieve with one that has a really great bore?
I might be able to get a Peabody at half of what the Amslers cost but if it doesn’t shoot all that great I might be forced to get more spendy. Of course, the conversion of an Amsler does seem as easy but maybe it is...
 
Thanks guys!

What kind of accuracy can one hope to achieve with one that has a really great bore?..

I think it has the potential to be reasonably accurate but I also think like many original guns / barrels, it will take some experimenting with to get the right loading technique. I think bullet shape and design is probably the most important thing. I have owned one 50-70 rolling block with a perfect bore and foolishly traded it because I could not get it to shoot accurately and currently have a Sharps sleeved with a 50-70 rolling block barrel. What I found was that the original chambers had a very long throat and the government shape bullets did not shoot well in them, because they could not be seated out far enough to be close to the rifling. By chance I found a Loverin design mold and it shoots quite a bit better because the diameter is carried farther forward which has the effect of putting the slug closer to the start of the rifling

cheers mooncoon
 
Would appear I missed out on the rifle.

Have you guys brought an antique across the border lately?
Last time I did it was 2017 and it was mailed directly to me. Just curious if the is some link to the current regulations I can get caught up on. Not sure where to start.
Thanks
 
Back
Top Bottom