Peculiar muzzle loading rifles?

Brutus

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
118   0   1
I say this because I have an unusual situation here between two Hawken reproduction rifles.

-Number 1 is a 50 calibre PRB John Browning Mountain Rifle.
-Number 2 is a 53 calibre PRB Sante Fe Hawken, from Western Arms.

Whenever I shoot the Browning, it requires three cleaning sessions. Preferably at least 8-10 hours apart. And maybe a fourth an final inspection (shiny dime clean, oily patch shows no red)

My more recent purchase, the Sante Fe rifle, it requires only one cleaning session and one confirmatory final bore inspection.

The only guess that I have that makes some sense, is differing barrel steel.

Any other thoughts from experienced black powder folks??
 
If I was a bettin' man I'd suggest you have the difference in two barrel steels, one smoother than the other.

All that said, I ain't an "old man" but I have been shootin' this stuff for over a quarter century now - and I ain't always great at maintenance.

I only ever clean 'em once after a shoot and don't go back - and have yet to see any pitting in any bores, even if they ain't perfectly clean. So I don't imagine you have much to worry about.

NCBB
 
I've experienced the same thing - my browning mountain rifle shoots beautifully, but man is it a pain to clean. I use plain rendered lard as lubricant and true black powder so no issues there, yet it takes close to an hour to get clean water coming out of the bore. I always thought it was just my gun, but maybe is a BMR thing?
 
if i do remember the JBMR has a special cleaning jag , i have owned many and they love 3f and i have used Balstoil spray oil as a patch lube the other rifle I have no experience with but would love to see pictures.
 
if i do remember the JBMR has a special cleaning jag , i have owned many and they love 3f and i have used Balstoil spray oil as a patch lube the other rifle I have no experience with but would love to see pictures.

Yes, patent breech. One can make do with a 38 calibre jag, for the narrower spot in the bottom because of the breech plug design.
 
Back
Top Bottom