Pedersoli 1874 Sharps Competition

Hi,

Just my 2 cents...

I just love this Long Range Buffalo with my Pedersoli Sharps 45-90: the nice thing is that ( at least for me ) is the windage control: 0.5 MOA adjustment....



SightLongrangebuffaloMVA1.jpg



from: http://www.montanavintagearms.com/103_longrange.html




And if you add this:

magnum_hadley.jpg




Nice vision whatever the light !


And as far as the front sight is concerned: choose a sight with a level, to avoid any canting distorsion ( for long range ) and some more windage adjustment.


Gerald

who just want to see more shooters at Connaught National BPCR competition in August of each year...
 
Pick yourself up one of these sights and you will have no problem with cleaning your rifle without removing the rear sight. This sight was invented by a Dr Goodwin in the late 1800s. He was a target shooter and inventer. The sights are being reproduced. A google search should be able to find one. This one was purchased in England a few years ago.

DSC05509.jpg


DSC05506.jpg

I found the article and contact for the Goodwin Sight if you are interested in contacting the maker of these sights.

The Goodwin long range tang aperture sight was designed by a Dr. Goodwin in the 1860s and produced by John Blanch & Sons, a London gun making firm.

The Goodwin/Holbrook tang sight is adjustable for both windage and elevation and features a screw thread of forty turns per inch. On a 100-yard target, using a gun with a 39-inch barrel, one turn moves the bullet's point of impact 2.52 inches. Holbrook provides a table with sight change results up to 1,000 yards with his sights. He also offers various front sight configurations, including one with a spirit level, to complement his rear tang.

Along with sights, Rex Holbrook provides a full range of muzzle loading gun manufacturing and restoration services. His underhammer target rifle was featured in a recent edition of the Muzzle Loaders Association of Great Britain Journal. Rex may be reached at April Cottage, 11 Mill Lane, Broom, Alcester, Warwickshire B50 4HS (Tel: 0789-778371).
 
I found the article and contact for the Goodwin Sight if you are interested in contacting the maker of these sights....

Along with sights, Rex Holbrook provides a full range of muzzle loading gun manufacturing and restoration services. His underhammer target rifle was featured in a recent edition of the Muzzle Loaders Association of Great Britain Journal. Rex may be reached at April Cottage, 11 Mill Lane, Broom, Alcester, Warwickshire B50 4HS (Tel: 0789-778371).


Hi sir,

I also have Rex Holbrook's Dr Goodwin: IMO, it is one of the best rear sight of Dr Goodwin sights.

Pedersoli sells one: but you have to use your Allen key to move it from the upright position for transportation.


I would just add with sadness that Rex Holbrook passed away on the 21st August 2011 after a long illness...

The LRML and BPCR have lost one of the best craftmans and a gentleman !

That is what I was told by his family when I wanted to get one more of his great sights...


Gerald Bergeron m.d.
 
That is sad to hear that Rex has passed away. I know a number of shooters that use his sights and will not use any other. The gun that I have with the sight on it is 1874 Sharps in .45-120 and was used in a number of 1000 yard matches with excellent results.
I had read earlier that Rex's son was also working with his father making these sights, maybe he will continue the business.
 
Back
Top Bottom