Pedersoli 3 band Enfield accuracy

lyman54

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 90%
18   2   0
On Friday I finally got to the range to try my luck at 100 yards with the musket. I'm using 500gr minies from a Lee mold and 40gr of Goex FF. The accuracy of this rifle is astounding. If I could I'd post pic's of the target but I sure am happy with it. Sure saves on powder vs the standard 60gr. Using Pyrodex didn't make a difference. Next up is RB, I think the accuracy will be right on with these also. Considering the load and it being a muzzleloader I'm pleasantly surprised to say the least.
 
Good to know that 40grains of powder can send a 500gr minie out to 100. Did you have to "hold over" was there any ballistic drop?

I have learned how I need to make a sight picture with the front sight in the v of the rear at 50yd and again at 100yds. These are truly a 1 man rifle, that's what I think. You get to know it and how to use the sights to make it your own. That's what I love about it. I sighted right on the target at 100 and it was a bit high, at 50 I aimed about a foot low and it was high, so I'm still and will always be learning. Yes there is a drop at 100yds, used to have the tables from the early testing in 1853 but it's on the web. There's a youtube video of a guy shooting at I think 800yds and the drop was 73 feet. :sok2
 
73 feet!!!

From a test done in 1853. 530gr minie with 68gr of FFG. out to 300 yards. Muzzle height was 18.5 in. at 175yds it was at 43ft, 275yds at 14ft and 0 at 300. Seems insane I know but even at over 800yds they had more than enough killing power as demonstrated by using 1" pine boards and going through 6 of them. Muzzle velocity was about 900fps and muzzle energy was not much higher. But the weight of the lead projectile did the rest.
 
I have a Pedersoli 1863 Springfield, Armi-Sport 1853, Colt 1861 rifled musket, Parker-Hale 1861, 1858, 1853, & Whithworth.
I only shoot the 1858 P-H because of the progressive depth rifeling.
I use FFFg powder and mini rounds from a Lyman mold 577611.
I have a supply of really soft led so the minies will open up properly.
It would be great to have a spplier of pressed or stamped, led minies like the British manufactured during the late 1800's.
Molding hot led creates a hard surface and the rounds don't open up as easy as the stamped rounds.
 
From a test done in 1853. 530gr minie with 68gr of FFG. out to 300 yards. Muzzle height was 18.5 in. at 175yds it was at 43ft, 275yds at 14ft and 0 at 300. Seems insane I know but even at over 800yds they had more than enough killing power as demonstrated by using 1" pine boards and going through 6 of them. Muzzle velocity was about 900fps and muzzle energy was not much higher. But the weight of the lead projectile did the rest.

Incredible. I'm going to start casting minies.
 
So I went to my local scrap yard and purchased 60 pounds of primary grade lead, I had a .50 Lee minie mould lying around and had some time to kill today. Out came the smelt pot and ladle and then off to the range to shoot minies for the first time. :eek:

Man are these things heavy compared to ball, and recoil was noticeably more than shooting PRB with the same charge. I was using 60grains of FF Goex and shooting a Thompson Hawkin .50 (twist unknown). I found that this is quite an accurate projectile and dropped somewhere around an inch at 100 yards. What I found very interesting for you hunters out there, was that at 100 yards, the boolit was carrying powder with it still!

No one had cleaned the range or target boards from the weekend so there was probably an inch worth of paper on the board. My mould cuts the minie into a wad cutter/semi wad cutter type, and to my amazement when I took a walk down I found almost perfectly cut .50 holes WITH powder all the way through the 1 inch of multiple layered paper!? I've never seen this with round ball.

Is there an element of powder that remains unburnt in the convex "skirt" and stays with the boolit for the 100yrd trip? If hunting, would powder in the wound track spoil meat or have unintended negatives to people who eat it?
 
Thanks for this link. I recently came into possession of a 3 band Snider which has had it's stock cut to carbine length. It's an 1861 Mark II**. The butt plate retains the rack number of 43/333.
It would appear that it came from the 43rd Ottawa and Carleton Battalion. That rifle list in your photos provided the clue.

I have a glass plate negative of my Great Grandfather in the uniform of the 41st Brockville Battalion of Rifles. He is holding a Enfield with bayonet. This was most likely during the Fenian raids into Canada. Born in 1843 so I'm not sure of the date but looks to be in his 20's. Funny, now I have the same weapon less bayonet.
 
I have a glass plate negative of my Great Grandfather in the uniform of the 41st Brockville Battalion of Rifles. He is holding a Enfield with bayonet. This was most likely during the Fenian raids into Canada. Born in 1843 so I'm not sure of the date but looks to be in his 20's. Funny, now I have the same weapon less bayonet.

I managed to find a couple of photos of the 43rd. online posing with the Sniders. It is interesting to think the one I now own may be in those pictures.
 
Back
Top Bottom