Pedersoli 38-55, is my barrel loose?

datatools

Regular
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
Location
Alberta
Just getting a new Pedersoli Highwall Sporter in 38-55 up and shooting. I installed a MVA tang sight and a globe front sight. This should be a resonable accurate gun, but its not, I'm getting 12-20" groups at 100 yards. It feels like the barrel isnt tight on the receiver, I can actually feel some movement there and it squeeks. Is this possible with a brand new gun, should I try to get the dealer to take it back or fix it myself (if possible)? Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks.

Bryan

Thought I would add my load. Bullet Barn 245gr RNFP with 27gr IMR3031.
 
I know I would be on the phone with who ever sold it pretty darn fast!

Just make sure that its not the sights or stock that's loose. If it is the barrel its not a home fix and its a totally unacceptable situation.
 
That is very odd. I'd definitely have it checked out.

With repect to accuracy, have you checked the bore/groove dimensions on that rifle? From what I understand, the Italians use a larger bore/groove dimension than you might expect. Is this one of the 1:12 twist models? If so you might want a significantly longer/heavier bullet, although that won't explain groups that bad.

Chris.
 
If you can hold a finger over the receiver to barrel joint and flex or twist the gun in any manner that feels like there is movement then there is something most seriously wrong.

A finger laid over a joint like this that is moving a small amount is quite sensitive to amounts of movement that the eye might not see.

Even if it's some play just in the wood fore grip these rifles cost enough that it's time for a warranty return.
 
I will echo the others who have said that the barrel should not move when you twist it by hand . If you are doing that with the action closed, it may be that the extractor is all that is keeping you from unscrewing the barrel.

Re accuracy, if you are using black powder, I would suggest using a drop tube followed by light compression of the powder when seating the bullet. Also would recommend a soft bullet lube (say 1/2 animal fat or lard and 1/2 bees wax) and use soft bullets with about 5% alloy, once you get the barrel fit sorted out

cheers mooncoon
 
Back
Top Bottom