Pedersoli Enfield

lyman54

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 90%
18   2   0
Well I've got to shoot it a few times this winter, only at 25 yards mind you, longer will have to wait until the snow is gone. Accuracy with the 500gr minies are excellent with 2F Pyrodex. Yesterday I used 3F Goex with 45gr in both minie and round ball. Was surprised and pleased that the RB was even better. They were wheel weight made. I need more lead. My Lyman GPR can take 2 loads before cleaning before a 3rd ball will load, but the Enfield doesn't have that problem. Perhaps the shallow rifling is the reason. But what a great gun, and the most fun I've had shooting in a while. Going to the gun show next Sat in Montreal and see if there is some BP for sale there.
 
I've been eyeing those Enfields as an option for my next flinter. So it's encouraging to read of your great results.

The stuff you use on the patch goes a LONG way to stretching out the need to clean the bore. I've attended a few of my club's black powder monthly shoots with my own GPR flinter. During the trail walk/shoot there is simply no time or place to do a barrel bore clean. We fire off 25 shots on the way down the trail. And often as not the guys will walk back up and have a second go at some of the targets they missed just for their own satisfaction.

A lot of the patch lubes that this crew uses are based on soaps rather than oils. I know that Murphy's oil soap figures commonly for some solutions.

My own trick was to make up a little bottle of "Moose Milk" from one part Ballistol to 4 parts water. I start the ball and patch and with the tuft still sticking up by the crown I dribble 3 to 4 drops of the Moose Milk on the patch then push the ball home. The second ball from a clean bore shows a slight increase in pressure to seat it. But from that point on the ramming force to seat the balls is all the same and quite easy to do even with the wooden rod I'm using so far.
 
Back
Top Bottom