Pedersoli Springfield 1861 Rifle

RifleR4ider

Member
EE Expired
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Location
Wasteland
Hi guys, got into the US Civil War history recently (yes silly me).
Looking for a Pedersoli Springfield 1861 rifle, just sent an email to John from Marstar.
I'm a little embarrassed to say, but I'm hoping to put together an early Confederate collection.
So I'm assuming a Springfield 1861 would be more historically correct than a Richmond 1862?
I just bought the Ken Burns' PBS Civil War series Blu ray, hoping to have some reading/watching for my two weeks injury leave.
Just curious if there are other Civil War collectors/enthusiasts? Have a great one guys!
 
Last edited:
Not so silly. It is estimated that 50,000 Canadians were directly involved in the US Civil War. I have a book on it I'll refer you to later. We were up to our eye balls in the war as combat volunteers and as businessmen.
 
US Springfield was also arm of the Fenian invaders in 1866 so it has a double Canadian connection.
 
Sharps '74 - Thank you good sir, sounds like a good read, please PM whenever you're free, much thanks!

green - I was actually looking for an early war Confederate rifle musket, so you're absolutely right a Springfield 1861 would be more appropriate. Topic changed, thank you good sir!
 
Last edited:
IIRC Loyalist Arms out of Sackville may sell Pedersoli rifles.

During the American Civil War thousands of Canadians answered the American call to arms. Figures vary from 30,000 to 55,000 Canadians fought for both sides. With fatal
casualty averaging one in five, as many as 11,000 died and with one in seven wounded up to 8,000 wounded. There were 19 Medals of Honor won by Canadians.
 
I think that Steppenwolf read the same book .....

"Canadians in the Civil War" by Claire Hoy. A fascinating read! Not surprising that we were caught up in a major war just across the border. It affected our economy (some made a p!ss pot full of money trading with both sides)and caused some diplomatic issues between the US and our government.
 
If you are going to impersonate a Confederate would a 3 band Enfield be more accurate.

Yes thanks according to the books I read the 1853 Enfield were the second most widely used rifle after the Springfield 1861.
I’m just hoping for an American rifle at the moment.
 
Steppenwolf - Thank you sir, checked out Loyalist’s site but find it a little difficult to navigate and search for the rifle. I never knew of the many participants from our nation, and the number of medals we received, wow! Thank you for the history!

Sharps 74 - Thank you too sir for the history, need to catch up on my reading.
 
Back
Top Bottom