Pedersoli SxS

There have been a few on here in the last while. The ones that sold were around $400.00 Above that and they take awhile although a mint condition example might be different. That being said, about 3 years ago I got rid of a mint condition one that I bought new in 1984. I fired 9 shots through it. At $500.00 I didn't even get any inquires. Lowered to $450.00 still nothing. Finally traded it to someone. But that was then so who knows.
 
Wow! If they won't hold 1/2 of there cost I'll think I'll pass. Nice gun though.

I think you would wait a long time to see half the cost of new. But if the asking price is below that, that doesn't really matter. Not unless you are looking to flip it. There was one on here this past fall that was hardly used that sold for $350.00. The fellow that got it listed it on the EE to flip it. Think he started at $800.00 and lowered it from there. Don't know if he ever sold it or for what amount if he did.
There's a 20 gauge listed on the EE at $300.00. It's missing the ramrod. It's still listed so don't know if it sold or not. I tried contacting the seller 4 times when it was first listed but he never did reply, never changed the ad to SPF and never removed it. So he is the type of buyer I will not buy from anyhow.
 
Last edited:
If they sell for $1000 new then the dealer bought it for $750-$800 (wholesale price), so to start with that's what it was "worth" brand new.

If a used gun was taken in trade by a dealer they certainly wouldn't pay more then the cost of a "brand new one", so a "trade value" might be $600 if it had been shoot a couple times and well cleaned - any real signs of use would drop that to minimally $500 - and only if the dealer had an active market for black powder guns.

This is why private sales are popular for the owner, they will easily get 20% more than they would from a dealer on an outright buy or trade.

Whatever was paid in sales tax has nothing to do with the value of the gun - that was the original buyers "cost of acquisition" - so at least to a dealer that's not a factor in what it's worth - the government got that money, a dealer can't recover it.

And I would suggest that guns that are in low demand sell for "dealer buying prices".

Second, being black powder. If the owner was tardy about cleaning it problems have already started. That further devalues the gun.

Third, the market for black powder is small to start with - a used gun has even a smaller audience unless it's an uber-great deal OR it's an original or super rare and "somebody wants it".

The greatest drop in price with a factory made black powder gun will occur between first and second owner. The drop will not be that dramatic between second and third - almost all of the depreciation is built into the first sale.

Anyone buying modern, factory produced black powder guns better plan on owning and using them for years. They are not something to be bought and flipped after playing around with them for a summer. Serious black powder shooters won't pay a premium for a used factory gun. Guys/Gals just looking to "check it out" likewise won't pay a premium for a used gun that they may not ever develop an interest in shooting over the long term.

That's why Traditions makes a muzzle loader that sells for under 200 bucks - something to "try" and if you like it, you spend money on a decent gun knowing, that unlike a center fire starting/entry level, you are probably not going to get half your investment back if you choose to sell it.
 
At $1000 you should be able to find an original british gun in good shooting condition. Only catch is that the nipple threads are probably 26 per inch not necessarily .250 diameter. If you have someone locally who can make custom nipples on a metal lathe, that is not a problem

cheers Doug
 
At $1000 you should be able to find an original british gun in good shooting condition. Only catch is that the nipple threads are probably 26 per inch not necessarily .250 diameter. If you have someone locally who can make custom nipples on a metal lathe, that is not a problem

cheers Doug

IIRC with opening my other computer, The older ones had SAE threads and the newer ones Metric threads. Not sure of the date of change over.

I have one and it is a good shooter. One cylinder has a cylinder bore the other modified bore. BP shotgunners that have them like them...
 
I have one of the Pedersoli Baker shotguns and love it.I bought the Baker because I wanted something different in a shotgun replica with it s single trigger and back action locks it fits the bill perfectly.I also
have a Pedersoli Mortimer shotgun and a Euroarms magnum capegun
 
I have a 12 SXS Pedersoli that I love. Very fine fit and finish, light as a feather and a sweet shooter. It is however actually a 13 ga , Cyl bore both sides. 12 ga wads were terrible to load, but 13's go in as they should.
 
Back
Top Bottom