Pedersoli thoughts

rimfire458

BANNED
BANNED
BANNED
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Good Day Folks
Try not to get upset with a newb. I have looked through other threads but not really come up with answers that exactly address a couple questions I have on Pedersolis. Actually Sharps pattern Pedersolis. I have had Shiloh's and C Sharps. Both good in their own right but honestly I find as I get older I'm not looking as much for the 15-20 G bling factor as much as I'm looking for some bling mixed with a lot of fun field usage. As I get older the memories of hunts are meaning more than the shine in my gun vault. So here goes. I would love to own the cavalry carbine. Their just so appealing to the eye and nice and short for carry, however. I just know that with how far away that rear sight is it would be no more than a blur to me. Which means I'm going to have to go with a full length gun so I can put a tang peep on. Am I correct or can the little carbine be tang peep fitted. Has anyone with old age near vision deterioration had success with the sights on the carbine? Secondly, these things are not going to be a Shiloh, I know that but just how much does the quality suffer?If I don't go with a set trigger model and do by some chance stay carbine are the triggers real saggy or are they reasonably crisp?I wish my eyes weren't a factor. I'd just grab the carbine and go (provided the trigger was decent). So there's my dilemma.
- I want some measure of quality
- Can't see an open iron two feet away(keep in mind I haven't actually held this gun)

Any information appreciated
 
Last edited:
I don't know why you couldn't fit a tang sight. I totally get the peep sight/old guy vision thing. I have had peep sights mounted on a variety rifles all my life, starting with the .177 pellet gun I got for Xmas in the early '60's. My Dad and Grandfather both used peep sights, and I never really learned to shoot very well with anything else. It has only been in the last 10 or so years that I have understood the benefits for older shooters with fading eyesight. I have a number of old Winchesters with either Lyman or Marbles tang sights on them, and they work great. Both sights are available brand new, try Buffalo Arms, they have a good selection. As for overall length of the rifle you're discussing, I am guessing it might be a bit shorter than a '92 0r '94 Winchester, but I can't imagine a problem. As has been discussed elsewhere, peep sights in low light hunting situations are challenging, but so what? At our age, we don't need to kill every deer out there.
As for Pedersoli quality, I can't help much, never owned one, but I hope to soon. I am getting real serious about their Gibbs rifle. If everything I read about them is correct, they are good enough for an old farmer like me, and will almost certainly outshoot me hands down. As always, YMMV.
Glen

OBTW, welcome...
 
Welcome Rimfire,
I went to the other end of the spectrum! Just bought a Pedersoli "Quigley" in 45-120 I couldn't find a lot of fault with it. I haven't shot it yet. Just working out the mechanics of BPCR loading. Hopefully, Tiggr will chime in here. He's the proud owner of a Pedersoli as well, and he's shot his.
Go for it, I say!!
Mike
 
They say on DP's sight that the tang of the carbine is drilled and tapped for a creedmore mid range. So away I go. Just got to sell my T/C encore 50 now
 
A pedersoli will work just fine.
But fit, finish, warranty and resale value will never come close to touching a shiloh.

If its one just for hunting and beating on then by all means get the pedersoli, keep in mind a pedersoli is a few hundred bucks less then a shiloh with the high dollar right now, theres no real reason to buy a new italian sharps. If you can find a deal on a used one go for it.
 
A spaghetti made gun is a low cost mass produced alternative for the unwashed masses:p For the real connoisseur of the falling block an Original Christian Sharps is the ticket. However I can't afford a $15,000 piece of history so Shiloh is the next best IMHO Here is mine. #1 Sporter 26" standard half/half. 45-70 semi-fancy wood. MVA goodies too. Only problem with Shiloh is that they have a tendency to breed. I have another one coming and hopefully it will be here before summer, and I would love another in their Saddle rifle config in 50-90.

IMG_5247_zps3d48e7f2.jpg
IMG_5250_zpsc3f2c5f7.jpg
 
Been that route to the tenth exponent. Oh ya, engravings, peuter, long range everything, and when it was all done, if I would have had gorilla arms to carry the 14 3/4 pounds through the bush I wouldn't have wanted to out of fear of the slightest scratch. Some fun
 
Been that route to the tenth exponent. Oh ya, engravings, peuter, long range everything, and when it was all done, if I would have had gorilla arms to carry the 14 3/4 pounds through the bush I wouldn't have wanted to out of fear of the slightest scratch. Some fun

No worries. My gun weights in at 9 1/4lbs. Pederesoli makes a fine product, just messing with ya. Have you consider a scope for the carbine? I think MVA make a Winchester A5 copy with mounts for around $500

Not a carbine but I have seen one on one. A scope similar to this on the Ballard


v43t4l_zpsafc343ce.jpg
 
MVA makes a nice copy of the Winchester B5. I've got one on my CPA Stevens and it's really nice. The scope slides under recoil so there is no worry about it contacting your face. Same with the MVA Malcolm copy. I have one on my CSA 1874 Sharps paper patch rifle and it has never been an issue shooting 530gr bullets over 83gr of Goex Express FFg.

Chris.
 
I have had a Pedersoli Sharps Long Range model 45-90 for 2 years and put many hundreds of rounds through it with the standard issue tang sight and hooded front sight. No problems at all and I like every ounce of the 12 lb 2 oz. One improvement I will make this year is a spirit level front sight. Like many BPCR guns it took a while to get the right load for it but it groups well now: meaning about 1.5 m.o.a. for 5 shots on a good day and without too much caffeine. I like it enough that I would purchase another or recommend them to a friend.
 
I purchased a Pedersoli Sharps Long Range, 34" half round half octagon barrel, .45-120. The fit, finish and overall quality are superb; I have had great luck with 450 grain rnfp bullets, but have gotten nowhere with 500 grain bullets. The Sharps actions will accept the tang sights; mine has the long range tang and spirit level front globe on it; they are a great gun for the money.
 
Good Day Folks
Try not to get upset with a newb. I have looked through other threads but not really come up with answers that exactly address a couple questions I have on Pedersolis. Actually Sharps pattern Pedersolis. I have had Shiloh's and C Sharps. Both good in their own right but honestly I find as I get older I'm not looking as much for the 15-20 G bling factor as much as I'm looking for some bling mixed with a lot of fun field usage. As I get older the memories of hunts are meaning more than the shine in my gun vault. So here goes. I would love to own the cavalry carbine. Their just so appealing to the eye and nice and short for carry, however. I just know that with how far away that rear sight is it would be no more than a blur to me. Which means I'm going to have to go with a full length gun so I can put a tang peep on. Am I correct or can the little carbine be tang peep fitted. Has anyone with old age near vision deterioration had success with the sights on the carbine? Secondly, these things are not going to be a Shiloh, I know that but just how much does the quality suffer?If I don't go with a set trigger model and do by some chance stay carbine are the triggers real saggy or are they reasonably crisp?I wish my eyes weren't a factor. I'd just grab the carbine and go (provided the trigger was decent). So there's my dilemma.
- I want some measure of quality
- Can't see an open iron two feet away(keep in mind I haven't actually held this gun)

Any information appreciated

I shoot a Quigley, model 45-110 I have shot it at silhouette shoots beside shilo and the c sharpes, the quality of rifle of my so called spaghetti sharpes to the costly American rifles is as good or better then the high dollar so famous American rifles, its as accurate, as any one of the American rifle, the wood to metal finish is better, then allot of the American rifles I have been able to handle, and the Turkish walnut stock looks way more classy then the old American walnut stocks, so don't be afraid to buy a pedersoli,
 
I think the Pedersoli rifles are pretty good. I recently watched a friend of mine shoot two groups at 100m with his new Pedersoli. Both groups looked at, or possibly under, one MOA through my spotting scope. That's good shooting.

Chris.
 
Those scopes are return to battery type, and no, they will not smack you in the eye!!LOL!
here's another on my original 38/55 highwall.
WinHI-Wall3855.jpg

I also have a Lyman super targetspot that was a field testing scope owned by C.I.L. - it was on everything from 22's to 375H&H!
Here it's mounted on a martini cadet in 22LR
martini1.jpg

Cat
 
Back
Top Bottom