Pedersoli

Uplandguy

Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks, in a couple months I am going to buy a new rifle. I am down to a couple of choices. What does everyone think of pedersoli's quality?

I am choosing likely between the 1874 Sharpe's and a (new) Winchester 1873 in 44-40. I anticipate a reasonably high volume of shooting.

If you have other suggestions, my max budget is about three grand in case you think there is something better made than a pedersoli's in that price range.

Thanks.
 
I have a Pedersoli Sharps, cloverleafs at 100 with the tang sight when everything comes together. My eyesight is terrible too... I certainly can`t do that with irons on anything else I have. Metal to wood finish is excellent. I can`t compare one directly to a Shiloh but I have several thousand through this one now (including the previous owner), no trouble. Mix of BP and smokeless. Unfortunately I`m a long way from any BPCR competitions or I`d love to see how it stacks up. I`d buy another.
 
Pedersolis aren t bad guns I have had several.The Shiloh Sharps are the top of the line as far as Sharps rifles go in fit ,Finnish and historical accuracy goes but pedersolis will keep up to them as far as shooting accuracy goes.If I was going to buy a Pedersoli Sharps I think I would buy their 1877 version just to have something different.I also have one of the new winchester 1873 sporting rifles and can tell you it s a beautiful piece with its high grade wood
 
Pedersolis aren t bad guns I have had several.The Shiloh Sharps are the top of the line as far as Sharps rifles go in fit ,Finnish and historical accuracy goes but pedersolis will keep up to them as far as shooting accuracy goes.If I was going to buy a Pedersoli Sharps I think I would buy their 1877 version just to have something different.I also have one of the new winchester 1873 sporting rifles and can tell you it s a beautiful piece with its high grade wood

Thanks for your opinions guy I will check out the 1877 too..decisions decisions...
 
I think you may be comparing apples to oranges; if you are shooting long range single shot or 100 yards and further for best group then the Sharps is the way to go because it can be made in multiple rifle cartridge suitable for long range shooting. If you are thinking in terms of cowboy action shooting then the model 73 should be your choice.

I also think the model 1877 Sharps is a rather homely gun compared to the 1874 model

cheers mooncoon
 
There quite a few guys who have been lined up at Shiloh Sharps for the last 3 or more years waiting for the Shiloh 1877 sharps to come out who would disagree with you on it being homely.


I think you may be comparing apples to oranges; if you are shooting long range single shot or 100 yards and further for best group then the Sharps is the way to go because it can be made in multiple rifle cartridge suitable for long range shooting. If you are thinking in terms of cowboy action shooting then the model 73 should be your choice.

I also think the model 1877 Sharps is a rather homely gun compared to the 1874 model

cheers mooncoon
 
The Pedersoli 1874 Sharps and the Winchester 1873 are for two different purposes. the 1874 is designed for longer ranges shooting with heavy bullets (405gr+). the 1873 is designed for closer range shooting with lighter bullets (200gr). So you have to ask yourself what do you want to do with it. The 1874 is going to take a bit of a learning curve in reloading for distance and accuracy. The 1873 is more of a reload and shoot type gun. Pedersoli and Winchester both have excellent names and you cannot go wrong with either names. If you are thinking Cowboy action shooting, then the 1873 is the right choice.
 
I think you may be comparing apples to oranges; if you are shooting long range single shot or 100 yards and further for best group then the Sharps is the way to go because it can be made in multiple rifle cartridge suitable for long range shooting. If you are thinking in terms of cowboy action shooting then the model 73 should be your choice.

I also think the model 1877 Sharps is a rather homely gun compared to the 1874 model

cheers mooncoon

I am not comparing them in terms of shooting purpose. I just wanted to know if the pedersoli's are good reliable guns for the long term.
 
We had a pedersoli 86/71 which is essentially a winchester 71 in 45-70 instead of .348 winchester.
It had persistently recurring feeding/cycling problems so paw fixed it one last time and sold it for more than we paid for it.

The buyer checked it out and was apparently impressed by it as it cycled smoothly at the range for him.
Maybe it liked him better than us.
So be it.

Like I said it was a pretty gun but over a 6 month trial we experienced sporadic reliability problems.
Won't judge pedersoli by just one experience but first impressions were certainly not in the positive range.
The gun cost us $900 and they were going for a msrp of $1400 at the time we bought it.
If it looks like a deal sometimes it ain't.
 
I've got a Pedersoli 1866 Henry and it's a lovely piece of work. And other Pedersolis I've seen that belong to other shooters are done similarly well.

But I think that if I were wanting a Sharps rifle I'd want to go with the American made Shiloh Sharps or C-Sharps. Even if there is a long waiting period. Or if you really want a Sharps over the 1873 then buy the Pedersoli now and at the same time order a Shiloh or C-Sharps. Then either keep or sell the Pedersoli later once the new Pedersoli makes very nice firearms but there's something about having a gun from the original country and where the work is done in the way that Shiloh does with more of a nod to the traditional methods of the time when these were the gun to have. A bit of panache you simply can't have with the Italian clone.

For the 1873 I think you would be very happy with the Pedersoli. But if you can get the same gun out of Miroku (Miroku is the current maker of most or all the guns for Winchester) I've read nothing but good things about those. And again the couple I've seen looked pretty good. Just not sure if they ever made one or are still making one in .44-40.
 
Lets dispel the myth that you need to wait years to get a Shiloh rifle.

That is true is you want a special order rifle with all kinds of options. They always have several 'ready-to-go' rifles on the rack from people who either died waiting or reneged on their order.

When I bought my #1 Sporter off the shelf, it was one of six rifles available at the time. It has all the features I would have custom ordered (pewter nose cap, checkered lower tang, pistol grip, cheek piece, 30" tapered octagonal barrel, etc.). The wood is not spectacular, but I couldn't be happier with it and there was no lengthy wait.

C. Sharps similarly always has rifles on the shelf 'ready-to-go'.

The '77 Sharps is the American answer to the elegant British target rifles of the era. The lightened hammer was supposed to be less disturbing to the aim for long range shooting. Tell that to the guys that shoot '74's out to 1,000 yards.
 
Last edited:
I am not comparing them in terms of shooting purpose. I just wanted to know if the pedersoli's are good reliable guns for the long term.

I did own an Italian copy of a Sharps carbine for a while; I had no complaints with the gun overall with one exception; the pivot pin for the lever was not case hardened and the lever spring was so strong that the pin would gall up after a few shots. I backed off the screw that held the spring, by 1/2 turn and no more problem. If I had kept the gun, I would have recased the pin. I have owned both a Farmingdale Shilo Sharps and the Italian copy above and know of a couple of other Italian made Sharps. I wouldn't hesitate to buy an Italian copy if I wanted another Sharps

cheers mooncoon
 
Pedersoli had a problem with the 71/86 rifles when they first came out supposedly fixed itI was going to buy one but found a browning 86 carbine instead

The browning clone of the 1886 is the best. 100% true to jmb design. A real clone. Not a safetied-up variant.
Built by miroku but no lawyer safety crap (rebounding hammer, tang safety) like the later winchester 86s and 71s.
 
My Browning '86 knocks over rams at 200m with the factory semi-buckhorn barrel sight from a sitting position. The guy that sold it to me has since tried twice to buy it back for more than I paid him. No dice.
 
I muzzle load shoot, and both cartridge black and smokeless silhouette. I have tho Pedersoli muzzle loaders and a Ped '74 Sharps and a Ped Springfield trapdoor carbine both in 45-70. I have not had any problems with any of them. They function well and the fit and finish is excellent. I certainly recommend Pedersoli
 
Pedersoli guns have been winning competition shoots around the globe.
Their reliability is well known.
Pedersoli stands behind their products better than most other gun makers.
I am not employed by Pedersoli, or any rewards by Pedersoli.
Fred
 
Pedersoli guns have been winning competition shoots around the globe.
Their reliability is well known.
Pedersoli stands behind their products better than most other gun makers.
I am not employed by Pedersoli, or any rewards by Pedersoli.
Fred

Amen to that one. I love my 86/71 which is the most accurate 45-70 I've owned over the years including Rugers & Marlins. No worries fer me on build quality & function and the barrels on 'em are beauty with hardcast loads. :cool:

45-70 Pedersoli.jpg
 

Attachments

  • 45-70 Pedersoli.jpg
    45-70 Pedersoli.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 103
Back
Top Bottom