Percussion nipple flash guard?

Canuck Bob

Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Many report that shooting a RH percussion is safe and easy for a lefty. I'm considering looking into RH percussion guns used like the GPR. Anyone ever used the cone shaped flashguards regardless of which shoulder used?
 
I have one on a TC Hawken. It's made from small brass bell. Does keep a lot of cap debris off the breech and stock. Ted Cash makes some in various sizes and as mentioned above TOTW has a page full of them. I, and a friend have shot my TC left handed with the cup installed and we have gotten no debris in the face.
 
They are easy to install and do work to deflect cap debris upwards as well as protecting the wood from gradual erosion by the "over-flash" from each cap - all the fire does not go into the nipple, especially with magnum caps. I found it quite awkward to place a #11 cap on the nipple with the guard in place and quit using a guard. I have very rarely had cap debris come back at me: usually the hollow face of the hammer deflects it forward and down. Might be different with the much larger musket caps.
 
Back
Top Bottom