While you are on the site, in your browser find and click "Add to Home Screen" A CGN beaver app icon will then be created to your phone that is directly link to the site.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
I think if you can load it from the muzzle that it would be ok... that is if it fits the other criteria in your hunting regulations.My understanding of the gun you are describing is that is a stretched percussion revolver that has a butt stock?
If so it is not loaded from the muzzle, but by placing a ball on top of the cylinder and then pressing it in with the loading lever. I don't think that would make it a muzzle loader and certainly not a single shot (that may or may not be important though). Like I said, refer to your hunting reg's and see if it meets the description of what they say what a muzzle loader is.
I do not see why not its almost a muzzle loader by definition. Interesting question thou are you asking because of multi shot capabilities. The length of the barrel and the stock class it as a rifle. Could not find anything that would suggest that it was not legal.
I guess the question should be is a revolving percussion rifle classed as a muzzle loader. Other than loading at the cylinder its a rifle. I would ask your local Conservation officer.
Muzzleloader answers the question all by its self do you load a revolving rifle through the muzzle ? answer no . I think they would be closer to a breach loader .
Muzzleloader answers the question all by its self do you load a revolving rifle through the muzzle ? answer no . I think they would be closer to a breach loader .
The legal question would probably confuse the people that you are going to have to ask for a definative answer. Its more "primitive" than most inline rifles and more deserving to be included than they are on that count.
From an ethical perspective, I would really hesitate to use it on deer beyond 50 yards as the powder capacity is pretty limited (~40gr I think). I realise that isn't quite what you are asking but it still bears pointing out.
Legalities aside, from a practical viewpoint only, one should at least chronograph this rifle with the loads to be hunted with and observe if thier is enough velocity to make this a viable harvester. Perhaps only a cylinder with the BP capacity of a Colt Walker or Dragoon might be up to the task. I believe Vagrantviking is thinking along the same lines too.
I think you'll find that the fact that the cylinder is loaded from the front, loaded using a rod or press, does not have a cartridge of any sort and uses a percussion cap means you can use one in Ontario. Of course this is all in theory, and assuming you had such a firearm.
It's a black powder revolving carbine, NOT a muzzle loader.
Even though it is shooting black powder it is not by definition what can be used in a BP " primitive" season, because the ball is not loaded form the muzzle.
Cat
A percussion revolving arm can be loaded by the muzzle. Powder down a long bone dry barrel and depends on if your ball is tight or loose. Bore butter and cap placed on at the cylinder.
Yes I beleive it might match criteria. Maybe there's a market for these from hunters?
The army carbine model has an 18" barrel and I guess if you told the arresting officer that you loaded it from the muzzle and stuck to that story in court; you just might have a game changer. As for Sask black powder season laws; I've never seen anything about no repeaters BUT I could be wrong. Please feel free to argue this point cause it's better here than in front of a judge.
I must again revisit what myself and others have said, with the relatively low intial velocity of BP and the addition loss of power through the cylinder and frame gap, this does not bode well as an ethical tool of harvest IMO. The target species of big game deserve better tools.
I gotta say...its just not a deer gun buddy. Pure death on beer cans though!
If you check the Lyman black powder manual the king of black powder percussion revolvers is the Colt Walker. As I recall it barely reaches the energy level of a 38 special and the gun in question has a smaller powder capacity. The good news is that you can get a muzzle loading rifle that will do the job splendidly with no problems!
I think the gun meets the spirit of the law far more than an inline with sabots. Percussion revolvers are also accepted in most rendezvous as being muzzle loaders for the purposes of muzzle loading pistol competitions.
having said all that, I would not consider it adequate for hunting anything above rabbits and there may be minimum energy limits in the game laws of some provinces. You would also want to be sure of the classification of the particular gun because at least some of them used to be classified as restricted.