Phoneix 45/70 value

WR1894

Regular
GunNutz
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Just trying to fiquire out a value on this rifle, it is the second gun in the picture
The gun has a decent bore with some pitting but should shoot
I believe they were only made form 1874 to around 88.
I have not seen to many of them so it makes it hard to value

http://

The breech block swings to the side to load

http://

http://

Any ideas
John
 
I'm sorry but i can't venture to guess as I can't remember seeing one come up for auction even on the computer. De Haas covers it in his book/s but i don't know if he covers values, but I'm sure it is worth more then a sporting Roller, possibly in the same range as the Hepburn although it doesn't have as good a parentage. This is one time where i am afraid to throw out a $ value for most to critic.
 
Flayderman's Guide (page 288, 9th edition) lists them at between $650 and $1500 and I turned one down this year for $750 and that was 6 months ago and the guy still has it. There does not seam to be much of a demand for them. The one in the photo looks like it has a replaced fore end. Considering there was only about 2000 made in the sporting rifle, they should be rare and collectable. Whitney collectors (they are as scarce as the gun) would be your target for selling.

Road King
 
never mind the 45/70 is that a Gibbs original target rifle above!! If so I am very jealous! is it for sale, please .please please, great taste in rifles you have, Dale in T-Bay
 
The gun is a Whitney Phoenix. Mine is a 38 rimfire and I traded $6-700 for it. I would think the demand for rimfires is less than centerfires. Also do not consider it a particularly strong action and probably only suitable for pistol cartridges which would severely limit its value as a long range single shot rifle. More of a novelty plinker

cheers mooncoon
 
These rifles must be worth alot more in the USA or values may be caliber specific as I see US sales of $1750 and $2000, quite a few years ago.
 
Saw one at a gun show in Moose Jaw a few years ago. It was pretty much trot-line sinker grade, badly worn and appeared to have been used as a kids toy for some long time.

Guy wanted $750 for it, still had it at the end of the show.

Gotta agree with the assessment overall. It didn't look like much of a shooter, even in good nick, and the target market is pretty small.

Looks like it is in decent shape. Best I can offer up is to have some decent pictures in hand and cruise the displays at as many gun shows as you can, looking for info. If the US side is willing to pay a bunch more, ship it! It is an Antique on both sides of the line, so should be no issues.

Cheers
Trev
 
Thanks guys, I have a guy that wants to buy this one as I am looking a one in better condition in 40/70 so I was looking for a fair value. I collect singleshot rifles and have only seen 3 decent sporting rifles but there is not the demand there is for the other singles.
Yes that is a Gibb's long range rifle and no it is not for sale but would like to find a orginal front sight for it.
John
 
John would you mind posting pictures of the Gibbs longrange target for us who dream to find one oneday, great rifle and very jelous! thanks again for awnsering my questions, Dale in T-Bay
 
Dale, here is a couple of pictures of the Gibb's

http://

Here is what is on it for a front sight and also the back of the false muzzle, I believe Gibb's and Rigby were the only English match rifles that used the false muzzle

http://


http://

I was also lucky enought last year to pick up a Alex Henry Sporting Match rifle, it has had some work done to it and it is a little rough on the outside but has a excellent bore. If I have time on the weekend I will get some pictures of it and post them if you are interested
John
 
Back
Top Bottom