Photos of an original Springfield Model 1888

Win 38-55

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Gents. At lunch today I was outside taking some fresh air on a very peaceful, overcast fall day when I noticed how nice the lichens looked on the cedar rail fence in the backyard, especially with a Dogwood in full fall flame. I figured it would be a nice place to take a picture of my old Springfield, so I went in and got my old rifle and the kids' camera. The rifle is an original Springfield Model 1888, with a cartouche date of 1891. It is in excellent shape and can put five, 500 grain cast bullets into a 1 & 1/4" group at 100 yards.

Springfield-Horiz.jpg


Springfield-Vert.jpg
 
Nice! Reminds me that hunting season is just around the corner.

A smoke pole resting against a fence pole, ready to use to hunt polecats? Now if you happened to be a Pole you'd have completed the circle. :p
 
Looks like Springfield #### to me!!!
It looks to be in awesome condition.
Love those old trapdoors, the background rocks!!!!!!
BTW...I have all four volumnes of the U.S. Martial arms serial number books.
If you would ike I can look the number up and see if it is listed. There are about
10 to 12,000 numbers listed indicating issue, etc.
Cheers
 
my budy has one that he's thinking of selling alon with a colt 44 army. the
colt trigger guard is bent like it was use to bang noggins after it was out of bullets. jb
58springfield5.jpg


58springfield4.jpg
 
Hey, that would be great! My serial number is 521526.

I checked all four issues and your number does not show up. There appears to be a block of number 520,000 to 522,000 that are not accounted for. In my thirty years of Springfield collecting I have run into two guns in the book. One was an 1888 rod bayo model I bought for a friend...it was issued to the 71st New York Vol. Inf., the other was a Cadet model issued to the 8th Ga. Vol. Inf.
Sorry we couldn't get a hit for you there.
Cheers
Wes
 
Thanks anyway, Alonzo. Apart from the usual cartouche, and 'US' stamped on the top of the buttplate, I don't see any other markings.

Jbunny, those are two fine old antiques your buddy has there!
 
I myself am restoring a 61 springfield, thats a nice one your friend has there!!

The 1860 army is a fine sidearm aswell!! Great set!


Mr win, your trap door is a interesting one aswell, Ive never had the pleasure to try one of those--Yet.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom