Pick the best Civil War revolver

Pick the best

  • La Mat/ 44 cal. 9 shot with a shot gun barrel.

    Votes: 16 13.8%
  • Starr/ 44 cal. double action

    Votes: 6 5.2%
  • Colt Walker/ 44cal

    Votes: 15 12.9%
  • Remington /44 cal

    Votes: 52 44.8%
  • 1St Model Dragoon/ 44 cal

    Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Colt Navy/36 cal

    Votes: 15 12.9%
  • Colt Army/ 44 cal

    Votes: 32 27.6%
  • Patterson /36 cal

    Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Baby Dragoon/31 cal

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Confederate copies

    Votes: 1 0.9%

  • Total voters
    116
Aw Muskey fire, the early starss where double action, but due to cost. later models where made single action

I figured that;),

I never liked that double action...And I dont even think you can manually #### the hammer in a star double action like on a Remington and the Colt.

Though that star single action is a real slick lookin set up "for a clunky box frame";)

I also dont know if single action starrs were used in the war of northern aggression or came after??
 
They where used, and most where a private purchase, and now i know more, did not know that the starr double action was hard to do single action on, these polls are very educational when the banter gets going, and some want me to stop polling lol, they may be right too lol

Was thinking of doing one on civil war cannons, so should i lol
 
All the extra votes went to remington;)

well I only cast one vote...

was gonna vote for one of them purty little dainty pieces yer so fond of but couldn't bring myself to do it.
first off cuzz it would cancel out my Remington vote
and second cuzz the vote was for a fightin iron and I just couldn't see willingly gettin into a scrape with an iron that has the barrel held on by a wedge...specially if I had a choice...
I mean really...did they build em like that so they came apart easy for cleanin..or they didn't know how to make threads? :nest:




Truth is I love the look of the open top Colts...they're elegant...in a flimsy sort o way :rolleyes:
 
I only voted once to!

no wonder the other guns have so many votes remys would be ahead by another 30 votes or so :p
 
4 more to go and i got 100 voters, but seems to me it won't matter much, so i guess i will take the top 4, with one vote, and if goes as far as the top two, surprising how people vote when the gun they voted for did not make it and got voted out, how their new vote can changes things very fast.
 
I like the Remington because the cylinder is easilly removed and replaced. It therefore can be reloaded quickly and be back in action in a few seconds. The frame is more sturdy than the Colts. The Colts use a wedge lock in the cylinder and it tends to be difficult to remove. I used both and I prefer the Remington. I have no direct experience with the others.
 
well I only cast one vote...

was gonna vote for one of them purty little dainty pieces yer so fond of but couldn't bring myself to do it.
first off cuzz it would cancel out my Remington vote
and second cuzz the vote was for a fightin iron and I just couldn't see willingly gettin into a scrape with an iron that has the barrel held on by a wedge...specially if I had a choice...
I mean really...did they build em like that so they came apart easy for cleanin..or they didn't know how to make threads? :nest:




Truth is I love the look of the open top Colts...they're elegant...in a flimsy sort o way :rolleyes:



Har har har.....Ok Sir well played:D

But for the record my "flimsy" 1860 seems to have held up good , and it aint too hard to take her apart to clean.

...but then again shes only 150 years old or so Im sure she'll be falling apart sometime in the next 100-200 years.


Im fairly sure that -wedge- that holds a Colts barrel on is thicker then the Remington's top strap.


Colt really was a genius---- he manages to make a beautiful streamlined revolver that almost aims itself.


But dont get me wrong I can definitely see the merits of frontier life and owning a Remington the thing is grandly suited as a hammer,

while the colt has only the -pesky- singular purpose of being a exceptional revolver.
 
Har har har.....Ok Sir well played:D

But for the record my "flimsy" 1860 seems to have held up good , and it aint too hard to take her apart to clean.

...but then again shes only 150 years old or so Im sure she'll be falling apart sometime in the next 100-200 years.


Im fairly sure that -wedge- that holds a Colts barrel on is thicker then the Remington's top strap.


Colt really was a genius---- he manages to make a beautiful streamlined revolver that almost aims itself.


But dont get me wrong I can definitely see the merits of frontier life and owning a Remington the thing is grandly suited as a hammer,

while the colt has only the -pesky- singular purpose of being a exceptional revolver.

oh touche my good man :p

I concede that if I spent my days at a card table or other such manly endeavor I would most certainly employ a Colt's open top revolver.
Having been robbed of my fortitude by late nights,the demon whiskey and inactivity it would surely be my only hope short of a pocket model were I ever forced to level a barrel at another.
It is with reluctance I admit that the pioneer in me requires a heartier form that may be employed not only for it's intended purpose,but for a variety of other menial tasks,such as splitting the head of a card sharp who's tongue has been loosened by drink but is not worthy of a round ball!

:stirthepot2:




this is gettin kinda fun! :D
 
I concede that if I spent my days at a card table or other such manly endeavor I would most certainly employ a Colt's open top revolver.
Having been robbed of my fortitude by late nights,the demon whiskey and inactivity it would surely be my only hope short of a pocket model were I ever forced to level a barrel at another.



Ouch .... reading this...makes the Colt and his pistol pattern to be the fork of Satan his self in all and any form of true oppression.;)

I myself would Imagine that in a gun fight...like a word fight often the worse man gets the advantage of the better.

I think the make of the revolver of that period would mean little in such a example.

Under the gamblers table the Remington pattern is home, there alone ---you dare draw in anonymity, not needing any speed to pull from leather.


The Colt design is singular in its purpose

--To be a slick iorn
 
:D
Does that mean I win? :D




Damn fine palaver Musketfire! :)


No measure of superior whit...can make a rem old army more slick then a properly maintained" Colt 1860 basic armory issue.;)

But just imagine this day finding a -ORIGIONAL- un issued still wrapped in paper gem of either remington or colt army percussion series...WOW

Such is beyond defineable worth ----like a real samurai sword.

Cheers
 
Last edited:
that's the truth.
and although I favor the Remingtons I know the value,and worth of the Colts and do appreciate them for the fine shootin irons they are.I'd take either were it offered to me ;)

fact is I'd be like the caveman trading his fire for the rock...I'd end up with both :D
 
Back
Top Bottom