Pick the best muzzle loader of the American civil war

Pick the best

  • Springfield 58 cal rifle,

    Votes: 9 31.0%
  • 1853 LeeEnfield 577 cal

    Votes: 13 44.8%
  • Whitworth/civilian target rifle

    Votes: 7 24.1%

  • Total voters
    29

TGC

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Location
LINDSAY, ONTARIO
Well the votes are in and now its time to pick one of the best muzzle loader of the American civil war. You have one vote, so think hard, Each listed has a fearsome repuation. and they arethe top 3 chosen by you.


Yes i put lee enfield, I was not paying attention, i ment to put just enfield
 
Last edited:
Im voting for the springfield 1861, great design based on the enfield, I like the bolster clean out screw, It makes a very good field cleaning that much easier.

Great rifle musket!
 
There where 3 different versons of the civil war springfield, and one could also place the 1855 spring field in that group, it had better sights but that tape primer system was not very good, but you could use standard caps on it, the rebs copied it and called it the richmond rifle, , two versons, the high hump and the low hump
 
There was also the kerr, but like the 58 not many, and from what i have read, and i admit very freely that i don't know much, the Enfield 1858 was not used, but some book some place will say different.

As I always say I only go by what i read and told by the experts, and when I repeat it, I look like a food, I don't mind looking like a fool, LOL
 
The Whitworth rifles were apparently accurate and very effectively used as sniping rifles at ranges of to 1000 yards. It used a 45 caliber, 530 grain, hexagonal bullet, 1200 to 1400 fps, that 2300 ft-lbs energy in a reasonably aerodynamic bullet (for the time)

However it was slow to load and hard to clean and expensive to manufacture, so not the best for widespread deployment.

It comes down to best for what purpose?
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom