Picked up a pre 1900 marlin 1895 carbine

Tinman204

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Location
Rural Manitoba
Hey everyone..

Long story short my brother and I stumbled across this beauty collectin dust at a buddies. It took a year to get it but on Sunday I finally did the deal.

It's a 1895 marlin carbine serial numbered in the 170,### range. From my research it was manufactured in 1898.

It's chambered in 38-56. It has a 22" barrel and the bore is almost new, Shiney with sharp rifling.

It's missing 1 screw on the left side bottom of the receiver, both bamd screws, the mag tube follower and the rear portion of the firing pin appears to be missing.

Being a milsurp collector I don't know much about this type of gun.

I have a couple of questions. Should I give the wood some oil as its getting dry and needs some hydration. If so what type of oil would be correct?

Where can I find the missing parts or does someone on here have the parts perhaps?

And also value of the gun. It's not mint by any means the metal is almost bluing free and is gone to gray with age. The. The forend has a Crack in the left front. I may sell it to someone who collects these types of guns as it doesn't quite fit into my collection although, I wouldn't mind keeping it and loading up some 38-56 as I have a .378" 300 grain mold and a good supply of 45-70 brass here.

Any help and info would be great.

 
Back
Top Bottom