Pieper sxs serial number

michael s

Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Location
Nova Scotia
I have an old H. Pieper sxs. It's not worth a great deal, and has been gathering dust for a few years, but I'm going to spend some money on it.
It has a serial number of 108069b12. Does anyone know the year of manufacture. Also apart from possibly Europe where can I get hopefully get spare parts. Thanks.
 
I would also be interested if someone has a link to a table that shows the serial number for H. Pieper's.

I have a 38 caliber falling block that I researched the snot out of a few years back.

H. Pieper was a gun maker in Belgium between the late 1860 up until his death in 1898. His son took over the business and kept it going until it went bankrupt maybe 15 or so years later.

I was told that since my rifle is marked H. Pieper that it was probably made "before" his death - later guns were just marked Pieper, Liege (etc).

It was suggested to me that checking the other proof marks would give me a better idea of the date and I would suggest the same to you. With the double shotguns there is also a way to identify the barrel (material).

With the barrels unhooked/removed there should be a stamp on the (floor) that will be a letter and two digits. The digits are the barrel length (28 or 30 or whatever in inches) the letter that precedes them is the material they were made from.

The codes I have notes on are: S = Steel, T = Twist, K = Krupp, D = Damascus and C = Chain Damascus. Not having a shotgun I didn't investigate the descriptions any further than that, simply kept what few notes I had scratched up on Pieper.

I could never find any correlation between serial numbers and year of manufacture anywhere.

Just about all of Pieper's guns were built for export and I did find that for my falling block there was numerous parts available particularly in the US, but given that the value of my model "restored" was somewhat under 200 bucks I didn't pursue it too far - but it does look cool :)

There should be a bunch of proof marks from the Liege proof house, that will at least tell you when it was proofed which should be relatively close to it's production date.
 
Thanks for the reply and information. This has given me a start at least. Like yours this shotgun is really not worth much but I would like to "restore" it just for fun, as it's a neat old piece.
 
Gunsaholic you are so right. I would think the shotgun may be worth about $150, so no matter what I spend I'll end up on the losing side.

But as long as the reason for restoring is to bring an old gun back to life as opposed to thinking you might make a buck, you are looking at it in the proper perspective. Lord knows I have waaaaay more money into most guns that I have had restored than I could ever hope to recoup. But value after being restored was not my reason for having the work done. Some of these old guns, particularly high grade damascus guns, are hand made works of art that , for the most part, are not seen today.
 
I think that we are on the same track here. I could in theory spend a lot to bring this shotgun back to life, but at the end of the day it is still only a $200 shotgun but that's not the point as I see it.
 
A few bucks here and there to fix things up - a few more bucks on ammo (black powder maybe?) - ending up with more invested that it's worth....

Shooting it and enjoying it for years to come - not quite priceless, but close enough... :)
 
Just a few comments Fwtw - When it comes to the older guns one must think "collecting" them as a hobby / a salvage operation. I have quite a few in my collection, mostly British but also have others including one by Pieper etc. I rarely fire them, if at al, my main purpose is to save them / parts of them. Some are truly works of art, with barrels, engraving, stocks that if they were to be made today would cost tens of thousands of $, I can enjoy the artistry at almost no cost. I'm still, even at my "advanced" age looking for those salvage operations, it's a great hobby with something to show for your efforts at the end. All take care --- John
 
Thanks Gents for the replays, I have to agree with all your comments and with these older guns I think that we all look at them the same, maybe a form of art that should continue, and give us enjoyment when bringing back to life. Mike.
 
Back
Top Bottom