Pinfire Rifle/Shotgun Info

V70R

Member
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Location
Can West
Anyone have any experience with pinfire rifles/shotguns or know where I can turn to for knowledge particularly for a "masu brothers" one. Its a (lever action) sliding barrel breech style but any info is desired.

Thanks!
 
how about posting a photo of your gun

I have owned and shot 3 pinfire shotguns and a large caliber pinfire pistol. A critical issue is how strong the hammer is as some pinfire guns have a very light hammer and require a flat surface under the cap to get reliable ignition. You are probably best to buy reloadable cases for the gun although they can be made on a metal lathe,

one problem I find with pinfire shotguns is that the hammers are much closer together than those on percussion or cartridge guns. They have to be in order to strike the pins. The pins I would add should be brass or copper to prevent damage to the hammer

cheers mooncoon
 
Anyone have any experience with pinfire rifles/shotguns or know where I can turn to for knowledge particularly for a "masu brothers" one. Its a (lever action) sliding barrel breech style but any info is desired.

Thanks!

The Masu Brothers of London were in operation at 3a Wigmore St. From 1865 to 1869. The firm reverted to Gustavus Masu (at 10 Wigmore St.) from 1870 to 1882, and back to Masu Brothers until apparently going out of business in 1892. The firm made Jones-type underlever pinfires with a non-removable fore-end (it stays attached to the action bar), and they also made Bastin action guns, which is what yours sounds like. The Bastin sliding-barrel action was patented by Bastin Freres of Liege, Belgium. A Masu Brothers gun of this type, s/n 3783, is described and illustrated in The British Shotgun, Vol. One, by Crudgington and Baker, and another one is illustrated in Sidelocks & Boxlocks by Geoffrey Boothroyd. Please send me a PM if you need more information.
 
Wow guys thanks for the info, sorry that this has laid dormant I didn't notice responses to this. Pinfire you hit the nail (or pin? haha) on the head every thing you described matches the shotgun. I was wondering what 3A" meant (the A is over the " and both are superscript to the 3), and now I know. It is a Bastin style and I was wondering why "BASTIN FRERE BREVETES 598" is on the lever and "BASTIN FRERE 597" was on the bottom of the barrel/slide (it was hard to see.) I picked this up years ago (as you can see from the first post), unfortunately BEAUTIFUL stock has a chip near the receiver which luckily is a bit hidden. Ill post some pictures today and we can continue the conversation, also once I have posted the pictures can you let me know if you think it is Damascus steel or just looks like it?

Thanks a ton again fellas!
 
it has a little bit of oil on it for storage
39823722591_12174f83a5_c.jpg
[/url]IMG_20180121_144639 by O1 R1, on Flickr[/IMG]
25950963188_2afeed524c_c.jpg
[/url]IMG_20180121_144325 by O1 R1, on Flickr[/IMG]
25950966568_5396de61bc_c.jpg
[/url]IMG_20180121_144334 by O1 R1, on Flickr[/IMG]
39823785691_d712d797a1_c.jpg
[/url]IMG_20180121_144338 by O1 R1, on Flickr[/IMG]
28045424219_a59e2e95f3_c.jpg
[/url]IMG_20180121_144342 by O1 R1, on Flickr[/IMG]
39114328394_df5b5b4f9d_c.jpg
[/url]IMG_20180121_144414 by O1 R1, on Flickr[/IMG]
here is the chip in the stock, its weird lighting I know but it was best view I felt:
39114699384_1e3d3498c8_c.jpg
[/url]IMG_20180121_151808 by O1 R1, on Flickr[/IMG]
 
Beautiful. Definitely composite (Damascus) steel barrels and rib. I have a G. Masu underlever centerfire 12 ga., address 10 Wigmore St. but can't post pics until back from refresh by CJDawe. Like yours is a back action with atypical checquer (but mine not same as your pattern at all). Very well made gun with some unique features that suggest Gustave did not necessarily go with the flow.
 
Ya they are so unique!

I have been "concentrating" my collection and on the fence about trying to find this one a new home, what are the values like for these? Would I have to go through a website or service do get value out of this or would there possibly be a buyer here?
 
Ya they are so unique!

I have been "concentrating" my collection and on the fence about trying to find this one a new home, what are the values like for these? Would I have to go through a website or service do get value out of this or would there possibly be a buyer here?

I don't think there is a very big market for pinfire shotguns because they are a challenge to load. That translates to the guns being undervalued. The plus of selling through the EE is that you pay no commission so that whatever it sells for is all yours. Price; I sold a Belgian plain Jane one for $250 in trade and traded 5 guns for the Danish very good condition and quality one I have now. Because I already owned the good one, I did not buy a quality british double gun with an asking price of $800 to $1000 (can't remember) that was in a gunshow some years ago. If a person wants a pinfire and is looking for one, I have only ever seen 3 or 4 for sale in local gunshows. I suspect many of the better ones were converted to centerfire in the 1870s but that is a guess

cheers mooncoon
 
Back
Top Bottom