plastic ramrods

piper394

Regular
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Location
manitoba
Does anybody in Canada sell those flexible plastic ramrods? I've got a couple that I bought years ago at an event in the U.S. but can't seem to find them here.
 
I asked this same question, and got a PM from an exceptional 'nutter.

Pick up a 3/8" Treso ramrod ends ($7), then go to an agriculture supply (mine was a Coop. Get 1x electric fence pole 3/8" dia.. It's an exceptionally strong fiberglass. (aprox $2 ea).


Once you determine that length and cut, place one end in a drill, and mill the other end to the appropriate diameter with a file. Rinse / lather / repeat for the other side. Drill a hole for the cross lock pin and Epoxy the ends into place (being careful not to get any glue into the 10/32 threads.

For $9 you have an indestructible field rod far superior to most that are offered commercially.

Hakx.
 
I have used the fibreglass rods made exactly as above for several years now without any perceptible damage to the muzzles of my rifles. Some are orange and some are white. On one range rod I have added a brass muzzle guard just for insurance: I used a 7/16" ramrod end so the 3/8" muzzle guard can't slide off and become lost ( there is a 4" antler "T" handle on the top end). The 7/16" will fit any bore 45 cal and larger. Based on a test reported in Muzzle Blasts magazine about 4 years ago, stainless steel was the most damaging ramrod material whereas wood, brass and fibreglass had no measurable effect after the equivalent of 5,000 simulated loadings. TOTW used to carry some black fibreglass rods that looked good for trail walks and hunting but these have not been available for about a year. The more flexible delrin rods remain available.
 
Back
Top Bottom