please delete

Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW those strikes on the barrel flat should line up - that is a chisel mark to Index the breecholug and barrel union , that is why it doesn't sit proprly in the bed
Cat
 
Last edited:
BTW those strikes on the barrel flat should line up - that is a chisel mark to Index the breecholug and barrel union , that is why it doesn't sit proprly in the bed
Cat

Very good. Barrel indexing marks.
I am unsure if this is a very old piece, but it is a very good looking one. Fancy buckhorn, pewter forend, hand checkering, indexing, metal engraving, cheek piece, very good lock fitting.
Hopefully someone knows the gunsmith.
 
I, too, suspect that it is not antique.
As far as the index marks go, look at the gap between the bar and the lockplate. Breechplug was pulled up a bit tighter.
 
Indexing is how she came out of wood . Next fellow can pound or do as he sees fit . Not old ? Ok , let's go with it is . Actually another member has located maker 1840's-1870's Penn . US so basically my concerns , questions resolved . Thx for the input
 
I get the impression it may be made using old parts and the breach plug possibly a replacement. The stock is well made, if a replacement. Also I tend to associate that "flash rail" on the barrel with British or european guns, The counter to that is that I don't see any proof marks

cheers mooncoon
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom