please disregard naked pics of women!

bobdbldr

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Location
Nova Scotia
I am close to being ready to start reloading for my antiques and close to Antiques!
I have asked some of these calibers in the past and thought I wrote it down but can't find it! So, I have a local gent that has been reloading for a lot of years and just put on our first beginner reloading course, he also makes lead bullets so I will possibly use him for those although Jethunter also makes some I believe! What I need is the caliber of brass to use for the particular round and the size of primer.
I will list the ones and fill in what I remember, and anyone who can help fill in the rest,, please do! I remember Dingus and Jethunter and Jetrefueler I believe plus mooncoon had some ideas!
caliber, ---- brass, ---- primer, ---- bullet
1. .44 russian, ---- .44 russian, ---- large pistol, ---- --

2. .455/476 webley, ---- .455 webley, ---- large pistol, ---- --

3.450 webley, ---- .45 L C or .44 russ. trimmed ,---- large pistol , ---- --

4..442 webley, ---- .45 schofield trimmed , ---- large pistol, ---- ---

5.380-200 webley, ---- .38 S&W? , ---- small pistol, ---- ----

we will be slugging the bores to get the closest bullet and I understand that hollow based are best for most of these guns any info on these calibers will help. I will also be reloading for 38-55 later. I read through many threads about powder /smokeless and blackpowder. We will be very carefully loading smokeless such as was discussed by dingus and jethunter and others like 2400, I have a number of reloading books and cartrdges of the world, but yyour combined experience can hopefully help save me from rookie mistakes!
I thank you all in advance for any more info you can supply!
Cheers Bob
 
Last edited:
dammit, I got suckered in, lol!

for the 455/476 webley, a .454 lead semiwadcutter around 250 gr I hear works better than the usual 265 gr round ball hollow base. Goes faster and hits a little harder. So says Elmer Keith, anyway.
 
Ok, I'll get the ball rolling. No nips, tasteful.


62938_Angelina_Joliemf3_123_145lo.jpg
 
For primers try to get winchester or CCI. Remington and federal are softer and more prone to piercing if your firing pin isn't in perfect shape.

44 Russian: use trimmed 44 special or 44 mag brass, large pistol primers, .430" soft cast bullets. In the russian I like 200-220 gr bullets. Some of the S&W russians I have seen had slightly larger bores, .431 and .432" is possible. Slug your bore.

The .455/476 is really just a .476 Enfield. You can also shoot 455 cartridges in it, hence the 455/476 marking. My .455/.476 marked WG takes unaltered 45 Schofield brass and I make .457" 265gr hollow base bullets for it. Large pistol primer. Some webleys need the rim trimmed on 45 schofield brass, some don't. My WG slugs at .457". I had a .476 RIC that slugged at .455"

.455 webley: LP primer, use .455 brass or make brass from 45colt by trimming length and thinning the rim. 0.452"-.454" bullets, either flat base or hollow base, and very soft. Flat base bullets like the Keith style SWC and lyman 454190 & 454640 work well in most guns if they are cast soft. I'm loading a 190 gr SWC in the 455 webley and having great results with it. But a couple of my old guns will only shoot well with hollow base bullets.
 
Last edited:
Thanks jethunter that helps a lot, I will be buying bullets soon I think I will use hollow bsa where I can and will be slugging the bores here soon!
Maybe you guys could get together and make a sticky with calibers and cross matching types of brass and bullets. Cartridges of the world has a lot of info but is missing a good bit of this type of thing! Is there another book out that helps identify brass and projectiles for the old beauties! And I don't mean the beauties (ladies) identified above!
 
Back
Top Bottom