Please help I.D. this Percussion Rifle

cdnskier

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
It is not a rifle. It is a single shot 16 gauge shotgun of a type sold in large numbers in the mid-1800s.

If you got it for $125, you might be able to flip it for $175.

The barrel will have proof marks which will identify its country of origin.
 
In the absence of any visible proof marks, you'll need to remove the stock and take a close look at the area around the underside of the breech. You'll likely see some kind of a cartouche with the letters ELG in it, and a crown, either on top or underneath, indicative of a Belgian-made gun, one of hundreds of thousands. That will help us date it.

However, IMO, it is a wall-hanger at best.

tac
 
Run.

Away.

If that was ever anywhere near England, then I'll eat the first volume of the London telephone directory with the sauce of your choice.

tac
It likely was close to England at least once, as it was riding on the boat from Belgium to North America. But you don't need to eat the directory
 
Thanks for that. I have it on good authority that the only thing that tastes worse is crow pie.

tac

Can't hardly get a directory here any more, everyone just uses the net. Probably easier to eat the electronic version, anyway. I can't think of anything less appetizing than eating either kind for crow. :)
 
Last edited:
There is no profit to be made on that fowler, but if the bore is good, it could be a good shooter. It looks somewhat better made than the usual Belgian smoothbore that I see in gun shows, but not a high grade gun.
We are all waiting for the images of proofmarks with the gun out of the stock.
Assuming safe condition, I would love to shoot Black Powder trap with it.
 
Back
Top Bottom