Please help identify...

frichtie

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Location
Québec
Hi all, I just bought this. Thought it will be a good looking wall-hanger. It could probably fire again...

But, what is it exactly? How old is it? I think it's a low budget, 1970's replica made in Spain....but it reads "W. Stanley London" on the barrel.

Your opinions.....
55f53b5f9e.jpg

55f70e3a51.jpg
55f8553934.jpg
 
Last edited:
Remove the barrel. On the underside there will be English proof marks if it is indeed English. It likely is. It was a "working man's" gun. I assume it is smoothbore?
 
Last edited:
It is an English shotgun, mid 19th century. It is not a reproduction; probably 150 -160 years old. As gunsaholic mentioned, it is a mid-grade gun.
Even though it is engraved "LONDON", in all probability it was made in Birmingham.
It looks to be in respectable condition.
It might well be a shooter. But it might not. A really careful inspection is necessary.
To remove the barrel, place the lock on half ####. Remove the ramrod. Push the sliding wedge out, from right to left. It is probably captive, don't remove it from the stock. The barrel is hooked at the breech, and will tip up and out of the stock.
 
Last edited:
Thank you gentlemen. I will soon remove the barrel and see those markings.
It is smoothbore. Any idea what it could be worth?
It's a nice looking piece anyway.
Back soon with pics of the markings.

-Eric
 
I have seen guns of the same general type, in sound condition, sell for $150-$200. Maybe a bit more if the bore was really fine.
 
Back
Top Bottom