Please help identify

96Briganox

Member
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Location
Canuckistan
Hey folks,

This black powder pistol was given to me and I would like some information on the history of it.
I know it's a single shot muzzleloader pistol. It's 44cal and needs probably no.10 or no.11 caps.
Would one of you maybe figure the value? The barrel days ASM. This is probably just a clone and the price is probably not that high. I'm not interested to sell it, but still would like to know the value.
It also looks like it's missing a part in the corner of the trigger guard and under neath the barrel. Would anybody know where one could find a single part for that? I also don't know the condition of the bore yet, don't have a tool to take out the nipple. Shining a light into the front doesn't really help at this point.

I have couple of muzzleloading rifles and now getting really interested to get into the blackpowder revolvers and stuff
1851 Navy and 1860 army would probably be my next purchase.

Any input would help and would greatly appreciate it.

Cheers!

 
ASM is "Armi San Marco", you are correct it is a repro. (Italian IIRC)

Interesting piece indeed. I've seen a similar piece somewhere else at one time, but not that common.

Value would likely fall in the 200-400$ range, unless there is some specific collector interest out there for them.

Happy shootin, welcome to the club
 
Basically, it is an Italian copy of the old Bob Tingle pistol, made in the '60s. If the bore is crisp, it should be a dandy shooter.
 
looks kind of crude almost homemade it has a colt grip frame and it is in the general shape of a colt

I've seen one before, and a quick internet search seems to confirm these were a production item albeit in low numbers.

For example:

h ttp://www.armslist.com/posts/258030/denver-colorado-handguns-for-sale-trade--conneticut-valley-arms-black-powder-pistol
 
Definitely a Tingle clone. Had opportunity to buy an original at a gun show several years ago for 150-. Sorry I passed it up as I understand they are a good shooter just very under-rated.
 
Tingle also made and marketed a mule ear half stocked rifle.

I had to look that up, that's a right fascinating lock. Looks like it strikes horizontally. Apparently "not uncommon" on original Kentucky style rifles, although I have to admit that's the first time I've heard of it.

Might make an interesting build, if a lock could be found or if someone was very ambitious...
 
A sideslapper lock is mechanically quite basic. They can be back action or front action. Quite buildable. Breeching is very simple, akin to an underhammer.
I think Tingle's lock used a coil mainspring. He also made a shotgun. Advertised regularly in Muzzle Blasts back in the '60s, when I first became interested in muzzleloading guns.

As far as the Tingle type pistol goes, it would be a good pattern to copy if one wanted to make a target pistol. Reproduction parts could be used rather than making them.
 
Last edited:
Just browsing some info on these, you're right they look pretty basic.

Mounting the nipple would be a non-issue from what I can see. Rumours online that locks can even be had, although I haven't found solid proof yet. Going off the photos, making one of these locks looks to be doable without any serious tooling, if a guy set his mind to it.

Sorry to the OP, got sidetracked here. Didn't mean to hijack.
 
It would be. The hammer/trigger are essentially those of a revolver, so the design contributes to a crisp pull.
 
I sold a pair of them about 1 - 2 years ago for I think $325. I suspect they would have cost around $400 each at the time of original purchase, How about posting a closeup of what is missing

cheers mooncoon
 
Give us the date code - a set of Roman numbers or maybe letters in a little square box stamp, and we'll tell you how old it is.

One of our club members sold his, nicely-boxed with a mould and doo-dads, for £75 - around $100 or so - only last year. I've shot it, too, with a .440" ball, 0.015 patch over 20gr of 3fg. Sweet.

tac
 
This would be the part missing. Like the Remington 1858 I believe have. The ramp looking like.



I also managed to remove the nipple and the bore was just a bit dusty. A couple of swabs and she looks clean as she came off the manufacturing line.

Here is a pic of the stamps and serial:



Here is another of the actual, not the best quality :(





I took her apart last night to polish the brass a bit. To get the spring back into the grip housing sure was some work. Interesting but very simple. I'm actually get very interested after neglecting her for 2 years.

 
Blackpowder muzzle loading rifles are considered the same as an antique correct? It doesn't require a Pal to own one?

How are blackpowder pistols classified? They are restricted correct?
 
Back
Top Bottom