Please identify Military Muzzleloader

stevep

New member
Rating - 99.2%
118   1   0
Location
Pembroke Ontario
Can anyone identify the top rifle in this photo. I have one of these and am trying to identify what it would be called.
It is 32 in barrel large rifled bore about .75.

Thanks

2qjggno.jpg
 
It looks like an 1849 Austrian Kammerbuchse. 33.25" barrel in .69 cal. Over 20,000 were used in the ACW.

I will go along with Austrian or German military but not with the kammerbuchse. The kammer portion refers to a sort of chamber where the snail and nipple of a normal percussion gun would be. There is a spring much like a frizzen spring to keep the top of the chamber closed and the hammer appears to strike down on the top of the chamber which ignited either a tube type primer or perhaps percussion powder/ pellets. I didn't read far enough to go into the details of ignition only looked at the photos on the net. I can't see any sign of a outside spring or chamber top in the original photo

cheers mooncoon
 
MC I think you are talking about the 1844 Austrian Kammerbuchse.

Edit to add: The 1844 used the Augustin tube lock ignition system you mentioned.

ACW = American Civil War

Cheers

I will go along with Austrian or German military but not with the kammerbuchse. The kammer portion refers to a sort of chamber where the snail and nipple of a normal percussion gun would be. There is a spring much like a frizzen spring to keep the top of the chamber closed and the hammer appears to strike down on the top of the chamber which ignited either a tube type primer or perhaps percussion powder/ pellets. I didn't read far enough to go into the details of ignition only looked at the photos on the net. I can't see any sign of a outside spring or chamber top in the original photo

cheers mooncoon
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom