please remove

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullzeye

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
i have always liked the looks of these.the sad part is they were long discontinued before i thought of buying one. how well did they shoot? would it be hard to find one and how much do you think they are worth? just asking not looking till next summer. i have a couple of rifle projects to do first. also recuperating from shoulder surgery and the doctor doesn't recommend any shooting of any kind till next summer.
 
Last edited:
They ARE a really nicely built gun. But unless you're super keen on owning a Ruger I would not turn my back on the better Italian clones. I've got a couple of older Uberti 1860 clones that shoot as tight a group as my S&W Model 19. And you can't ask for more than that. I was shocked when I installed taller front sights to let me aim where the balls wanted to go and put the first half dozen rounds on target. The front sight needed a trim but the group was about 1.5" at 15 yards and I wasn't really trying all that hard.

But again if you are lusting after the shape of the Rugers then you should just keep your eyes open and be ready.
 
I have one of the fixed sight gloss finish old army's with the 5.5 inch barrel. I wish I was able to get the 7.5 inch barrel with the adjustable sight but it was all they had.

They lock up very nicely and shoot as well as can be expected, which in my case is poorly. Definately a step above the Italian made guns in fit and finish.

I wouldn't worry to much about finding a used one, as I've seen them pop up fairly regularly, they don't have the cult following or usefulness for hunting in black powder only seasons like they do in the United States.

Mine cost the same as a new stainless vaquero new, the blues ones went for considerably less. I'd price them the same as any other used ruger revolver in Canada. Anyone who's trying to tell you different is feeding you a line.
 
I have a stainless 7.5 inch barrel Ruger Old Army with adjustable sights. It is very accurate at the distances I shoot (<35 yards). It is one of the few guns I intend to hang onto for the rest of my days.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom